White Leghorns

Peeps298

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wondering everyones opinion on white leghorns? I have the chance to pick up a few 6 month old birds local to me and Im looking to start an egg laying flock and I hear leghorns are wonderful white egg layers. How is their tempermant? What is everyones opinion on them?

I don't have them but their reputation is that they are not real friendly. They are egg laying machines that, due to their relatively small body size, have a real good feed to egg conversion ratio. If all you are looking for is an egg laying flock and not worried about eating them, they are probably a good choice for you. If you are looking for a pet that will perch on your shoulder while you are posting on BYC, they are probably not a good choice.

I like them. They are egg laying machines that will outlay any other breed if you have decent stock.

They are a small, active bird so they fly well for a chicken. This can mean a need for either higher fences or wing clipping to keep them where you want them. Because they can fly so well if you do something that would startle a big dual purpose hen into jumping a Leghorn will clear your head. Be calm around them and they'll be calm as well.

Some folks don't want white eggs so that's a downside for them. A plucked Leghorn is also the original rubber chicken so don't expect to get a good roasting hen out of them once their egg laying days are over.

Still, I like 'em.

I have a light brown leghorn and while she does not really enjoy me trying to grab her she is really sweet and curious... and beautiful!! If i could get a few more i will.

I agree with the above posts regarding their temperament, they are not snuggly by any means! But my Leghorn is one of our most beautiful I think, and the classic chicken. I think everybody needs some in their flock! Wish I had more! Lays daily, hardy and non-aggressive.

I have five white leghorns that are as sweet as can be. They will all jump into my lap for a good petting when I am in the coop or yard, very friendly and curious, and the easiest of all my birds to put in for the night. I just love them. If it matters I have raised them from day old chicks, and yes they are flightly, and seem happier with a much larger run and more to keep them occupied.

I have a white leghorn (ish). I'm sure she's a mutt, as there's an occasional black feather.

She's definitely my best layer. She's been laying about 2 months now, and has only taken 5 or 6 days off.

She's probably the most fearful and flighty of my birds. While none of them will perch on my shoulder, she is probably the least tame of the birds I raised from chicks. She seems to get along with the rest of her flock, but I think she's higher in the pecking order, despite the fact that she's the smallest of my girls. She's also definitely the homeliest. But, that's not her fault!

cloveroct5.jpg

I have 9 leghorns and while they are pretty and curious they are very much affraid of anything that moves besides another chicken:lol:

I have 2 "leghorns" which I put in quotes because apparently they have some other blood too, like california white or Plymouth Rock.

The above is true about them not being into people much, but of course they have unique personalities: Sunny is the smallest of my flock of 6, & reticent though lively. Daisy is top of the pecking order. I think they are great, like all 6 of my hens.

Of course they are both good layers, but then all my hens are, really. I say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom