white leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Sep 12, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    does anyone know much about the white leg horns? like are they nice?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You might try to do a search in this section about them. There are a few threads. They lay eggs like no other, are flighty, can be nice, will often be the first to your feet to eat, and the first to fly away thinking you are going to eat them. I personally like them and they do well free ranging due to being aware of their surroundings constantly.. and small/light enough to fly to the roof of the human house if need be.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=569850

3. clayburnley

clayburnley New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    Just one persons opinion: I recently raised about 10 each of white leghorns, light sussex, and americana pullets. All were together. The leghorns were the most active, then the americanas, then the sussex. The leghorns showed the most curiosity, came to hand the fastest, and always greeted me first. Mine were not flighty, the americanas were. The leghorns started laying close to two months before the others, and laid more total eggs. Mine were quite friendly and of my three breeds in this one group, I liked my leghorns best. If you don't care for an all white chicken, I like them, the leghorns come in a variety of color patterns. Just my thoughts...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by