1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Leghorns?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StarLover21, Nov 18, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    When do you'alls White Leghorns usually start laying? Mine is 22 weeks old. Will she wait until spring? Also, does anybody have pictures of POL leghorns?
    Thanks!

2. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Mines 24 weeks old and I am still waiting also. Would love to see other POL pictures also. My pullets comb is still smallish and pink, not at all like I see on fully mature birds. I had thought she would be laying by now. Is there something that I am doing wrong that is not letting her mature fully?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  3. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    What is POL? I don't have any white leghorns now, but I thought they layed earlier than other breeds?

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Mine started laying the end of july I got mine in march I only have one.
    [​IMG]

5. Yello

Yello Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Northern WI
    My 2 leghorn ladies started laying right at 20 weeks as did my other girls. I think my flock must be happy![​IMG]

6. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Mine are POL a.k.a point-of-lay... if I could figure out how to post pics I would be glad to help! What I can tell you is that mine started laying around 23 weeks, and that their wattles and combs are red, not pink. They squat when you put your hand on their backs, and usually they don't wait for spring if they are first year pullets.... is this of any help?

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    POL is point of lay.
    This time of year is iffy.
    If you want them to lay and they are over 20 weeks in Sep-Nov. add light and they will start in 2 or 3 weeks regardless of breed.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Without supplemental lighting, she will most likely wait until spring. Ours started laying at 24-26 weeks.

9. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I got mine the the last weeks of March. I have 10 and they all started to lay between 16 1/2 and 18 weeks. Mine looked very much like the pic of pandapaw23's. Their combs were deep red and big. One comb was so big I thought she might be a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by