white legs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tommijo, Jun 21, 2008.

1. tommijo

tommijo Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    I have two silver sebrights and one golden all of which are pullets about 5 months old. one silver and the golden have grey normal looking legs, the other silver's legs look rough and white and she looks like walking is painful. I have only had them about a month and I am concerned.

2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Are the scales of her legs standing up (instead of being flat on the legs)? If so, she may have a bad case of Scaly Leg Mites, which can cause lameness.

3. tommijo

May 31, 2008
    they look like old womens hoses rolled down her legs

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    She may have mites.

When my hen Betty got legs/feet looking something like that, I liberally applied Bagbalm to the area daily for a good couple weeks and her legs and feet completely regenerated. Applied periodically after that if I saw any scale lifting or dried out look. The condition had come on rather rapidly and she appeared to be in discomfort walking and there was even some bleeding. After the Bagbalm treatments she looked like a newborn. The difference was trul remarkable.

Others may come along with something even more applicable to your description.

I would treat quickly.

JJ

5. tommijo

May 31, 2008
    where do you get Bagbalm, she is the only one I can't pick up.

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You may find it at your local feed stores or could certainly get it on line. Comes in a little green metal tin.

JJ

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Since she's not amenable to being picked up, best to do this when she's getting very sleepy and has settled in for the night. Just quietly pick her up and put her on a towel in your lap. Gently and thoroughly apply the Bagbalm (or whatever others recommend) and then you could give her a little treat (if she's pretty awake by then) and put her back to bed. Lights out and nighty night. She'll get used to it, especially once she starts to feel better. Betty hated it at first but then loved how much better she was feeling.

You might also put FOOD GRADE (important!) DE in areas where the chickies dust bathe. If unfamiliar with this do a BYC search - lots of good info....

JJ

8. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    I have seen bagbalm at Tractor Supply if you have one of those near you.

9. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    e have bag balm in our drug stores~ [​IMG]

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I used Vicks Vap O Rub...but Bag Balm is in the pet dept at Walmart [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by