White light for silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hannahmrobinson, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hannahmrobinson

Hannahmrobinson New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, I was wondering during if you could help me please. I recently purchased 4 splash silkie chicks to add to my gang they are 2 weeks old at the moment I have a white 60w light in at the moment,the breeder told me to use this. They are in a large plastic box and have a light one end? Is this right? Shall I switch to red light I'm not sure what to do this is my first time with chicks

Thank you

Hannah

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Red light is the recommended light. It helps reduce the instances of chicks pecking and injuring each other, and it's better for their sleep - it's much easier for them to sleep with a red light than with a bright white light shining down on them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hannahmrobinson

Hannahmrobinson New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Would a ceramic one be better? It's currently 2:08am and I can hear them pecking and not sleeping haha, thank you for your advice. Is it just a normal house hold red bulb you purchase?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You'll have better luck finding either a higher wattage (250 watt) one at a farm store, or a smaller 60 watt one at a pet store in the reptile section. Which one you want depends on how cold it is where you're keeping the chicks - you want to keep an area for them at two weeks old that's 85 degrees under the light - if you can do that with a 60 watt, go for the 60 watt - less electricity :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  5. Hannahmrobinson

Hannahmrobinson New Egg

Jul 3, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Lol always better paying less :) I have a 60w in at the moment to be honest there not really going under it I've kept a eye on them and there not panting or look hot so I'm guessing they are ok?
    They are currently in my house and it's always warm in here (I'm one of them women that likes heat haha) i think I'll go with the 60 watt red later. Thank you very much for replying :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by