White Liquidy Poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dsquawker, Oct 7, 2011.

1. dsquawker

dsquawker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Bluegrass State
    My chicken's poo is really watery. Today one poo-ed and I noticed it was white in color. I put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water two days ago. Three days ago I cooked them Jasmine rice with Cayenne pepper. They've been eating their crumble (layena) and supplemented with scraps like lemon cake leftovers, etc. There was a sugar icing real minimal on the lemon cake. Could that be it because it was white in color? Anyway, just thought I'd ask to see if its something I should treat or address or if it will just go away and their poo will be solid again. I guess its reflective of the white snow we had fall last night! We live at 9,500ft in Woodland Park, CO so its not surprising.

Sincerely,
    Angela (dsquawker)

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The white you are seeing are likely the urates. Nothing to worry about. I am sure you have seen the poo page, so you are aware that there is a wide variation in what is considered normal in chicken poop. Unless there is more going on than just loose poops, I would not be concerned.

Good luck.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:CMV YOU"RE BACK!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I agree with CMV.

4. dsquawker

dsquawker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Bluegrass State
    Hi. I'm glad I noticed the runny diarrhea because that specific chicken I noticed it in started to sneeze and then had, still has, a runny nose. You see, we had a cold front sweep through our area up here in the High Rockies. There is now a foot of snow to contend with. Started melting but temps are slow to warm. I've separated that one sneezing hen and she's been inside now for the past two nights. She's soaking up all the wood-burner's heat and doing better and sneezing less. I think its a slight cold. She's still very young - about four months and I think her system, since being moved to a different elevation in the past month, has weakened her constitution. She's doing much better (I think). She's been spoiled with rice with lots of vitamins and minerals and some nose cleanings. The runny nose seems to only be in one nostril now and its clear. She's a blue splashed copper Maran and just sweet as can be. Her appetite has sustained as well as her water consumption. I've been suggested Tylan. Never used it and kind of don't want to at this point. Every post and person on the forums are so dramatic and make you think every thing is super bad and culling is the only option. I'm waiting it out, since its only one of my nine. Thanks for your support and posts. Angela (dsquawker)

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I hope she feels better soon.

Many on here sell chicks and hatching eggs (or do chicken swaps) and thus won't allow respiratory ailments in their flocks. If you have a pet flock and don't want to do those kinds of things then it makes sense to just wait it out IMO if you don't want to cull your pets. Whether or not you treat with medication- well it can be helpful to have a diagnosis first, although yes some have good results I have read with medications.

With some respiratory diseases of chickens (assuming that is what it is) they can be asymptomatic carriers or can have the ailment recur when their immunity is down (and some can even pass through the egg to the offspring). Here is a nice link:
    http://shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
    "my chicken has a cold, part I, II, and III"

To get a diagnosis it would require testing the chicken. Environmental factors can also cause a chicken to be "sick."

****very important: I have read posts on BYC where they assumed it was a permanent respiratory disease then went to a vet...turned out it was something totally curable and nonpermanent.*****

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by