1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White long worms in poo - do I need to move chicks from mom?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoaringBrook, Mar 29, 2011.

1. RoaringBrook

RoaringBrook Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    I have week old chicks (6) in with a hen that has adopted them. All look well (chicks and hen). Hen just pooed - and white worms came out. Do I need to move her from the chicks? Is it ok to treat with a dewormer - or are the chicks too young for treatment? I have been keeping the area really clean - changing paper towels on top of pine shavings every few hours....Appreciate any help.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
  3. RoaringBrook

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    I have never dewormed my chickens. I have 7 (and now the new six). Since I have been cleaning the box the new chicks/hen is in - I have not noticed the worms until this morning. I will check out the site and see if there is anything I can do for the chicks.

4. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would think it is just the hen that has the worms. Since you have never wormed your chickens I would first start with wazine in water, the follow 10 days later with something like safeguard. its a pea size amount for each chicken. I would worm your whole flock except the babies I would wait on them until they are older. you throw out the eggs for 2 weeks following each wormer you use. Good luck.

5. RoaringBrook

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Thank you. I plan to put the hen back with the other hens tonight - and start with the wazine in the water in the am. I am hopefull that after a few days I can put the banty back in with the chicks.

6. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Use the wazine put it in their only drinking water for 24 hours then throw the rest out. I am not sure that the hen will take the babies back if you separate them. Also throw eggs away for 2 weeks and follow up with another wormer in 10-14 days. Wazine is only good on one type of worm. You might have to brood the chicks yourself after this. Good luck.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I would keep the Banty away from the chicks til the worming is completed. Since your hen had an infestation and excreted worms, it's probable she'll be excreting them after worming. You dont want the chicks eating them even though they are paralyzed and/or dying.

8. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Thank Dawg53 I was wondering if I would see you post.

9. jasminechick

jasminechick New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Hi there, I just want to share some info. it took me a very long time to track down. First, Wazine only paralyzes the worms so the chickens can shed them, they do not die until outside the body. Meanwhile, worm eggs and worms can still be present in the body. As mentioned in another post, you have to use wormers not intended for chickens, especially tape worms. I use valbazen which is used typically for sheep and hard to find at a local retailer. You can order a small bottle from your vet or online supply places. I withdraw eggs for a min of two weeks and usually have to repeat again because like horses there are those eggs that are left that will start the whole process over again. I use 1 cc/ml Valbazen to 8 cc/ml water, then give 2ml/cc to large breeds via syringe down the throat and 1 cc/ml to small breeds. I always use my chicken's comb color to judge their health, the paler the comb and wattles, something is going on. A healthy chicken shoud have deep red coloring.

I also keep DE in their food which helps to kill internal parasites.

Also, if your chickens are free range, it will be hard to keep them anywhere close to worm free as earth worms, grass hoppers and mice, all of which chickens love carry tape worm larva.

Hope this helps, the only thing I haven't yet had to battle is the dreaded red mite and I pray I never have to.

To think I made the statement to my husband that chickens are cheap and easy to keep, he reminds me daily that this is not the case.

[​IMG]

Owner to 28 hens and 4 roosters

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

Thanks for the info, too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by