1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Lump On Top Beak At Beginning Of Crest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chooks4life, Nov 15, 2013.

1. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hi peoples, I have a question.

I've moved into a place where there are some resident poultry; they're a new lot after foxes and mysterious deaths killed the last lot. I don't know how old they are, where they're from (a backyard breeder I think), what breeds or mixes they are, or anything except that they're a bit underfed as a rule and perhaps exposed to chemicals like slugbait as they are ranged in fallow garden beds to break up and de-grass and manure the soil.

Before anyone suggests treatments, I will say that they are not my poultry and I won't be discussing this with the very busy owner unless I have something fairly solid to go on (he's not an animal person per se, if you know what I mean. There have been some mysterious animal deaths on this property, not just poultry, and it could be from a variety of things).

I'm thinking to bring my own poultry here, but have never seen this issue before and am hoping to get some info first. If I wind up caretaking this property though, these poultry would become my concern and I would be treating them, although it seems this issue is going away on its own.

Anyway: pertinent details: there are about 8 young ones and a few adult hens. Some of the young ones have a hard white lump that projects from their top beak, beginning right under the very start of their crest where the skin meets the beak. All the younger ones either have this or show signs of having recently had this, and I've seen a thread on here where another bird had this white lump, and it was the same age (roughly) as these. Can't find that thread though.

The adult hens sharing the cage do not have this or any symptom of having had it. But the few younger ones that don't have the white lump have an open bloodless hole where it recently was.

I think this is probably an infectious disease. Any information on it anyone can offer? I've been unable to find anything and haven't seen anything like this before first-hand. Here's some photos... Sorry for the quality, I don't have a better camera yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have read numerous posts on this kind of lump where the top of the beak meets the forehead, and most of the cases are never solved. The few that have been, have discovered a sharp feeder or water container, or perhaps a piece of fencing that the chickens press up against to get to something, where it has caused scarring. Many of these fall off or heal after they discover the sharp object. If you do a search here on BYC, you will find a page full of these threads.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I did a few searches and found nothing, as I said; hence my thread here. Must have been using the wrong keywords.

I also heard the wire fence explanation but it doesn't fit. It's not a cut, it's a growth that protrudes from between crest and beak. It's definitely not their waterers, and I don't believe it's the fencing either, which seems to be the reasoning people settled on in some other threads.

I've yet to see a case of this in an older bird. It's mighty strange it only happens to chooks around this age, and wears off all on its own. I have seen lots of wire injuries to crests from birds who put their faces through wire fencing carelessly but this is not the same thing at all.

Maybe someone out there knows what this is. It may be a new disease or a rarely documented one. Who knows... Certainly not us two, lol! ;)

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks. I WAS using the wrong keywords, lol!

I've noticed today that the birds have a vitamin B deficiency and general protein deficiency, and some of those who have lost the white lump are developing a keratin lump in its place, rather like a beak deformity. Not sure what that's about.

Anyway, this thread will remain so maybe someone in future can comprehensively describe what's happened here. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by