White Marans how did this happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantamman13, Feb 13, 2009.

1. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I have all Cuckoo Marans roo's with my Cuckoo hens and 1 RIR hen I hatched 6 eggs from these birds last fall and 2 of them are white with all the leg coloring and similar conformation of my Cuckoos. I thought white Marans were a complete different line could this be a recessive gene one them is carrying to throw this color? Any one have any idea's on this? By the way my Marans are from private breeders the last hatchery blood I had in my flock was 2 years ago at least. Sorry my camera is down and I can't get pics up right now.
    Thanks

2. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Sports?

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am going to say a throwback. What did the white marans originate from anyway, I will have to look that up. Maybe someone got a cuckoo chick in their whites and bred from it then lines crossed and such and now you have a white chick.

4. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    I know Bev Davis in Florida is working on a good White Marans. You might email her and ask? [email protected]

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I found this topic searching for the same answer. I have 9 brand new little cuckoo marans and one yellow chick with just a couple of dark spots. All out of cuckoo maran hens with cuckoo maran rooster. Interesting.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Recessive white would do this--both non-white parents contribute a gene and *POOF* a chick turns out white.

7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Both parents are carrying one copy of the Recessive White allele 'c'.
    Their genotype is C+/c. When two such birds are mated together
    C+/c X C+/c you get 75% coloured and 25% white chicks
    C+/C+ coloured birds
    C+/c colured birds (X2)
    c/c white birds
    David

8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Look for the leghorn roo in the area, sneaky they are.

9. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Quote:I am trying to develope a white line out of recessive white in my Salmon Faverolles... so if I breed white to white will I then get 50% white and what about in the next generation?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    recessive white to recessive white will give 100% recessive white offspring. If the parent is recessive white, it must have two copies of c, meaning that it gives a copy to every offspring. If the same thing is at work with the other parent, then all offspring receive two copies of c, and are therefore recessive white.

If one parent is het c, then half the ffspring will be recessive white and the otehr half not.

If both parents are het for c, then you'll get 25% recessive white, 50% split to c and 25% CC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by