White Marans how did this happen?

bantamman13

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2008
I have all Cuckoo Marans roo's with my Cuckoo hens and 1 RIR hen I hatched 6 eggs from these birds last fall and 2 of them are white with all the leg coloring and similar conformation of my Cuckoos. I thought white Marans were a complete different line could this be a recessive gene one them is carrying to throw this color? Any one have any idea's on this? By the way my Marans are from private breeders the last hatchery blood I had in my flock was 2 years ago at least. Sorry my camera is down and I can't get pics up right now.
Thanks

I am going to say a throwback. What did the white marans originate from anyway, I will have to look that up. Maybe someone got a cuckoo chick in their whites and bred from it then lines crossed and such and now you have a white chick.

I found this topic searching for the same answer. I have 9 brand new little cuckoo marans and one yellow chick with just a couple of dark spots. All out of cuckoo maran hens with cuckoo maran rooster. Interesting.

Both parents are carrying one copy of the Recessive White allele 'c'.
Their genotype is C+/c. When two such birds are mated together
C+/c X C+/c you get 75% coloured and 25% white chicks
C+/C+ coloured birds
C+/c colured birds (X2)
c/c white birds
David

Quote:
I am trying to develope a white line out of recessive white in my Salmon Faverolles... so if I breed white to white will I then get 50% white and what about in the next generation?

recessive white to recessive white will give 100% recessive white offspring. If the parent is recessive white, it must have two copies of c, meaning that it gives a copy to every offspring. If the same thing is at work with the other parent, then all offspring receive two copies of c, and are therefore recessive white.

If one parent is het c, then half the ffspring will be recessive white and the otehr half not.

If both parents are het for c, then you'll get 25% recessive white, 50% split to c and 25% CC.

Back
Top Bottom