1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by justplainolstev, Nov 8, 2015.

1. justplainolstev

justplainolstev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I have a white marans rooster. I have read that they are rare. Does anyone know if they have any value. I dont want any rooster and would like to sell it, preferably to someone that may want it for show ect.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Depends on the quality. I see there are already a few hatcheries carrying the variety, probably already finding ways to dilute and outcross it, as is their way. Where did you get the bird? Can you post pictures? How's it's attitude? Origin, type, and personality are some of the important factors people look at when deciding to purchase a bird.

I've worked with selling a few Marans in the past. Hatchery quality will maybe get you $20, or maybe nothing if he's got really horrible type or a bad attitude. Project color stock (Lavender) I've sold for $40 - they were Marans and they were in the right direction for good type, but they weren't any kind of show quality. A good, high breeder quality or show quality bird can be quite valuable, even a rooster.

3. justplainolstev

justplainolstev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He is very timid, but all my Marans are. He seems less timid latley but wont come to me. Not like my Buff opingtons which run to you and jump up in yoiur arms when enteing the pen. I have another Black Copper Manan that doea not have any tail feathers. I am assuming the WHite pulled them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by