white matter in eye, tail dragging

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catransplant13, Mar 24, 2015.

1. catransplant13

catransplant13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    I need help or I should say Donald needs help. My Donald is about 6 to 8 years old, male and his tail is dragging and white matter in one eye. I've been looking on line and I think he has a respiratory infection. My husband refuses to take him to a vet and I've tried contacting a vet nearby, I left a message but have not heard back. there isn't many here that will treat ducks. My husband went to Orschlen's and bought Terra-Vet 10, which is a Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder without asking for help. I don't know if I can give it to him, or how much or how often. If anyone can help me please give me some advice, Thank you. I also have Adam a 12 year old goose with him in the backyard and he is fine.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Well I am a Peacock person more than a duck person, but I would imagine they are fairly similar. We recommend Tylan for respiratory infections, don't suppose you have any of that? Dosing is based on weight. if you can weigh Donald or weigh yourself holding Donald and then subtract your weight that will help a lot. @casportpony is a Pea person who also happens to have ducks and is something of a medication expert/guru for all us Pea people. Hopefully she can tell you if ducks are dosed differently and can help you figure out if your tetracycline will help a resp. problem.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you been able to get help with the dosage? You could try to PM casportpony.

Another thing to try is putting a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in his drinking water - if the water is deep enough to dip his head into, it is a good rinse for the eyes, and it's a good tonic, I am told.

You could also rinse the eye with a mild saline solution or Vetericyn.

Take a good look at his vent - does he have a prolapsed phallus?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    How is Donald?

5. catransplant13

catransplant13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Thanks for asking, My husband decided to add 1 teaspoon of Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder to 1/2 gallon of water and my goose and duck, Adam and Donald are drinking about half the solution and Donald is acting better. He seems to be perkier.

6. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Glad he's feeling better! Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by