1. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    I noticed today that part of the ground in the coop's yard is turning white. I assumed it's mold and I tried to scrub it off and then I smelled this horrible stinging stench. It isn't hairy or anything, it just looks like the ground is turning white. Same thing on the roof, but there it looks like it's sprinkled if that makes sense. It's weird because everything is ventilated as it's outside. We had about 1 week of rain and high humidity so that might be the cause.

How do I get rid of it? Are there any sprays that aren't toxic for the chickens?

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    We have had issues like this once or twice, Always after a long period of rain and it doesn't help that our run is in deep shade. I scrape the layer of moldy dirt with a shovel and remove it, then rototilled the entire run. Haven't ever had it on our coop roof, but you could try using white vinegar in a spray bottle. Vinegar is a natural remedy. Also you could use tea tree oil in a spray bottle with water. I don't know if these would work real well on the ground though.

3. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Here is some interesting reading on white mold: http://whitemold.org/

From what I am gathering, it is very similar to black mold and needs to be treated accordingly. Spray the roof with a bleach water solution, and keep an eye on it. If it is growing on the shingles, it is more than likely growing under the shingles...Do a through inspection around the entire coop inside and out (dont forgert about the underside) and treat where needed.

I like TTracy's idea of removing the top layer of soil, and tilling. Maybe also consider removing any kind of debris that is laying around that can collect moisture and add some sand or some stone into the mix before/during rototilling to improve drainage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by