1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white or black cochins?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Mar 15, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    I bought my chicks from a local feed store I got what they sold as blue cochins, but they are now almost totally feathered and they really look more white than blue? Do they change later or did I just get unlucky picks?[​IMG]

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 8 1/2 week old blue and black mottled bantam cochins. They were all white, yellow and black for the longest time. Cute little things. They've been feathering out and we're seeing daily changes in their markings. Here's a shot of them from a few weeks ago, you can see how they are filling in dark in the back.
    [​IMG]

Again a shot taken just a few days ago. You can see one of our roosters definitely will be a dark mottled - a real sweetheart guy... And you can see how the others are growing...

[​IMG]

Enjoy your babies - to me ours are the most precious gift.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time
    Any fool can do it
    There ain't nothing to it
    Nobody knows how we got to
    The top of the hill
    But since we're on our way down
    We might as well enjoy the ride

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    bigmike&nan :

We have 8 1/2 week old blue and black bantam cochins. They were all white, yellow and black for the longest time. Cute little things. They've been feathering out and we're seeing daily changes in their markings. Here's a shot of them from a few weeks ago, you can see how they are filling in dark in the back.
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/mikennansourhouse/P2280488.jpg

You got a pair of mottle.​

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:Post a pic, some blues are really light.

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Give them some time to grow and mature. Heck I started out as an ash blond kid, and at about 10 starting going brown... LOL
    If you get white ones maybe you'll have one as regal as Anthony here...
    [​IMG]

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    In breeding "blues" you will get black, blue and (white) which is called splash.

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like sweet little mottled babies to me. [​IMG] We have a pullet who looks exactly like that!

Sonja

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Coach, can you share some pictures of your cochins? That will help the cochin experts help you out. Everyone here is really good at judging colors [​IMG]

9. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    I'll try to take the camara and get a few shot up here I'll get em up by this evening thanks again guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by