White or red heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by szieg1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. szieg1

szieg1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Middle of nowhere VA
    hi got another question my chicks are all hudlled together away from the heat lamp what does this mean are they cold? also i have a white and a red heat lamp on right now (night) will the brighter white light keep them up? and which is better?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they are as far away from the heat lamp as possible they could be too warm. Are they also panting and/or holding their wings out away from their bodies? If they look comfortable, just sleeping away from the light then chances are they are fine.
    I prefer the red heat bulbs. The chicks seem calmer and it's said to reduce pecking issues.

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I have used white and red both with good results. I have been told that the red lights keep them from pecking each other.

4. robot rooster

robot rooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Red Lights are always better, it helps them to sleep better than a white light. Hope it helps, have fun

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I found it best to use the white light during the day then red at night. I heard it is better for them.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have two brooders going right now. One has my red heat lamp, one has a 75 watt lamp on it. The brooder full of chicks with the red heat lamp has always seemed a wee bit more comfortable. I say go with red.

And if they're all piled away from the light, you need to raise it a few inches, until they spread out all over the place. That's a sign of the temperature being right. They need about 95 degrees the first week, then lower the temp about 5 degrees each week thereafter. But I don't use a thermometer - I just watch the chicks' behavior. They'll let you know they're comfortable.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I never used a heat lamp in my brooders. I used a plain white 60 watt bulbs in my brooder lamps. I also put wireless digital thermometers with an alarm in my brooders. I also cover my brooders to help keep the heat in. I set the alarm for a specific temp. If a brooder reaches that temp the alarm will sound in the house so I can go check. Once a light bulb did burn out at about 2 am. I also watch the chicks and see how they are behaving, if they are huddled together or not.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by