White or Red Heat Lamps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Audsrose, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Audsrose

Audsrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Ancaster, Ontario
    Ok, now I am a little confused. I have my brooder all set up and waiting for my new chicks to arrive. A fellow I work with me who also raises chickens told me to make sure I got the white heat lamp bulbs. But now I just read on a hatchery website to never use the white ones, only the red ones.

I am turning to all you experts to fill me in on what you use and does it make a difference?

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    The red decreases fights and remains the peace!! The white doesnt. Get red!!

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    An infrared lets them experience night and day cycles (unless it's the only source of light). A white light means it's daylight 24/7. They'll sleep better with a red light and maybe grow better with more sleep.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    red it lets them get some sleep

5. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] said:
    The red decreases fights and remains the peace!! The white doesnt. Get red!!

I agree with that. The red is dimmer so it allows them to sleep as well. Try sleeping with a bright white bulb on top of you. I think I'd go nuts. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:X2

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I run a red reptile bulb and a 150 watt heat emitter.

8. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    I have both, white for daytime use, red for night time use.
    But right now I only have 1 chick that hatched so the incubator IS the brooder... this will change come Monday or Tuesday though, as I have 26+ chicks coming from McMurray Hatchery(the + is for any living packing peanuts they add for warmth)!

9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i personally use a reptile emitter, which gives of NO light.. this means chicks are in the dark at night and its bright in the day.. (well kinda.. because i have a sheet on there...)

10. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Tractor supply sold me a 250 watt red bulb. After reading here (shattering and fire hazzard), I am very nervous about it and only use it while I'm in the room. I use a white light at night and while I'm away from the house. I still need to make the decision on what to do from now on, because I'd like to quit using that red light (with such high wattage). I may get a lower wattage reptile light.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by