White or Splash EE? Black Copper Maran cross with ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SonriseRanch, Mar 4, 2014.

1. SonriseRanch

SonriseRanch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    I was offered "free" roosters! [​IMG] but I had to pick them up right away or else! It was after dark.... The "colored" roo I was told was an Araucana, Ha Ha I could see he wasn't even in the dark, he has feathered legs (and a bad case of scale mites which I couldn't see) ~~I'm hoping he is a Black Copper Maran mixed with EE because he has a beard and muffs (but he doesn't have slate legs). The tail feathers he has left are a dark chocolate brown. Also check out his bottom half, whats up with that? It looks like a two different birds glued together
    The other two, I was told, were Leghorns. When I looked at them in the daylight they have a buff tint to their feathers and a few splashes of gray. They both have yellow legs (more mites [​IMG]) and one has a muff and one doesn't. Both have white ear lobes. Also they tussled and lost some tail feathers the first night (they're getting along fine now.[​IMG]) I've heard of white EEs and splashes but otherwise I'm clueless. [​IMG] If anyone has any ideas or guesses please feel free to comment! These are big boys! all are about 8-10 pounds and I was told they are 9 months old. (Also, I treated all three with Ivermec for the mites and have them in quarantine. ) Thank you in advance for your help. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They look like EE crosses to me. I do understand that is redundant. [​IMG]

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Interesting looking ......

4. SonriseRanch

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks. I thought EEs have slate colored legs?

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor boys, glad you took them. their legs lok as bad as my rescue roo did when I got him. Swab some vaseline o their legs too. Its soothing as well as helps suffocate the mites.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm guessing the EE blood is seriously diluted with Brahma and Leghorn influences.

7. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    The ones with beard and muff are EE's. EE's have no breed standard so whatever color they look like is what they are..2 buff splashy guys (marshmallow and mocha..(can you tell I am wanting coffee while I write this post?))?... and one umm..half and half (choc. strawberry marshmallow floating in a cappuccino con leche?)something or other (if he were Araucana he would have no tail). lol! As far as them passing along the blue egg gene..... the chances aren't too good as they have what looks like single combs rather than pea combs and the legs aren't the right color. The proof will be in the pudding if their offspring lay blue eggs. Here is a link that will help clarify the difference between Araucana, Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In all likelihood they're mixes of mixes. No one breed traits jump out except EE blood, with the beard/muffs. The only other bearded large fowl breeds are pure Ameraucanas, Faverolles and Orloffs, and I don't see any influence from those breeds here. I don't think the white boys are leghorns--they're too large, wrong body shape, and the actual earlobes are red, not white. Easter eggers do usually have dark colored legs, slate or green, but first generation crosses can have yellow legs.

9. SonriseRanch

Dec 29, 2013
    That makes sense! So what breed of chicken is marked like the roo is on his breast and would have leg feathers? I have a flock of 6 BO hens, 6 RIRs, 6 EEs, 1 SL Wyandotte hen and 1SLW roo. I was wondering which rooster to pair with what hens. I guess I'll just roll the dice and see what I get!
    [​IMG]

10. SonriseRanch

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you for your input! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by