White or White white eye peafowl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Cassconeri, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Cassconeri

Cassconeri Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    Hi there!

I am wondering if there is any way to know if a white peafowl is white eye (son of silver pied peafowls) or just a common white, with no knowledge about there parents?

If there some signs to pay attention or a dna test available please let me know!

Thank you very much.

Greetings from Portugal and good breedings!!

2. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    From which cross ?
    Siver Pied X Silver Pied = 25% of the peachick are White .

In the phenotype there is NO sign at all !
    NO DNA test can show the mutations of Pavo cristatus .... a genome analysis ... perhaps ... after 2044 !

There are NO ONE gene of Silver Pied .... there are NO bird split Silver Pied!

I m not sure that a white bird can be split of any color or patterne!
    Is it proven?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    As i know you can't tell if the white bird is carrying w/e until you breed him, but if one of the parents was silver pied then this white bird should be w/e.

4. Cassconeri

Cassconeri Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    Thank you q8peafowl! That answered my doubts..

Because i have a couple of whites and it was told to me that they might be from a couple of silver pieds.. But i guess i will have to breed them with another to see what comes..

Thank you!

5. scootj79

scootj79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Roscommon, MI
    I would agree with q8peafowl. The genetics of white eye are not well well known but it has been shown to be more dominant ao obtaining a white bird from two parents that have white eye then I would say it has white eye as well and its offspring should prove it if bred to a non white.

6. scootj79

Apr 29, 2014
    Roscommon, MI
    As for the patterns being carried by a white bird I am curious too. Can a white bird be a black shoulder. Is BS gene in same site as white? if not then if you breed a BS to a white you get India blue split white split BS. Breed sister and brother together or same thing from another pair then you get what? India blue split white split BS...BS.....White..India blue And cant you also get whites masking BS as well as BS split white? Which look BS but with white flights and throat latch?

7. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Yes, a white bird could be black shoulder, a white bird could hide any color or pattern, breeding IB split white and BS will give you IB, whites, BS, some IB split white some split BS, the white bird out of this pair could be BS and its just the white color hiding it.

Let me make it simpler, i have a cameo black shoulder pied white eye pair, 25% of their offspring will be white, this white bird will look like any normal white bird, but he will be hiding his real color(cameo) and his two patterns(black shoulder and white eye).

1 person likes this.
  8. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    If they were out of silver pied couple, you could get some silver pied chicks from them if you breed them with silver pied birds.

9. scootj79

Apr 29, 2014
    Roscommon, MI
    Q8peafowl youre the perfect person to ask this to.. what color is your dark pieds from that pair? Cameo with white flights and white eye?

10. q8peafowl

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    Yes, they will be cameo *BS* w/e, usually males with two white eye genes will have some white flights, or at least for the males I raised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by