White parasites and eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gulfvet30, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Gulfvet30

Gulfvet30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Waldheim, Germany
    Hi everyone,

i noticed that one of my girls had her "behind" covererd in poop, dirt etc. I was trying to clean her, when i noticed small white parasites running all over her backside. After looking closer i also found very small white eggs aattached to base of her feathers.
    Since yesterday these eggs are also to be found in their poop. I have checked all the birds and almost of the 15 are infested.

After seeing the parasites for the first time i coated the pen with the last of my DE, ( i do this every 4-6 weeks anyway,and my new batch of DE arrived this morning). The pen/shitting boards are cleaned out and washed down every morning without fail.
    Is there anxthing alse i can do, such as putting the DE on the girls rear end.
    I have added six girls and a rooster over a period of 6 weeks to my flock, i imagine that they were infected and past the beasties on to the other flock members

I have googled different pararsites that can be found on birds/chickens but i couldnt find any that look like these. I would be very grateful if someone can tell me what the are.

I have attached 2 pictures of their poop showing the eggs. I tried to take some pictures of the parasites themselves, but are really quick little buggers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help

Mark

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Is it possible that they have both internal and external parasites? Mites on the outside and some worms on the inside?

Welcome to the BYC forum BTW.

3. Gulfvet30

Gulfvet30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Waldheim, Germany
    Its possible that they have internal and external problems, but the eggs in the poop look just like the eggs at the base of their featheers

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would treat for lice / mites with Sevin 5% garden dust, or a permethrin / pyrethrin dust or spray from the vet or feed store, sometimes called "poultry dust". You repeat in 10 days, and you clean out the coop and litter as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by