White patches on comb and sneezing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeremy, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    My mom called me yesterday to ask if I'd try and figure out whether or not her birds were sick. She's got a small flock of 1+ year old laying birds and a rooster. They're a mix of hatchery stock and breeder lines. Mostly Australorps and EEs. She said over the past couple weeks her roosters comb has begun to "fade" to a pale pink and white color, towards the back on his blade. She said other than the comb discoloration his temperament and overall behavior have remained unchanged. He still eats and drinks normally.

She's noticed similar white coloration on her hens earlobes, none on the combs. They're all brown egg layers and normally have the red earlobes, but for some reason now she said it looks as if on a couple of them it's faded to a pale pink/white color like on her roo. She also said that her entire flock will sneeze occasionally. Is this normal?

My mom lives in Texas, so it might be a bit of a hassle to try and get any pictures but if it would help immensely I could try.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Are the white patches turning black? All birds occasionally sneeze, just like humans they get dust or what have you up their nostrils. Constant sneezing, wheezing or coughing is not a good sign though.

Can she get any pictures that you could post?

Mosquitoes are out now, they may have fowl pox. With fowl pox they get the white lesions and then they turn black.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    She did not mention any black spots, just the "faded" white look of the comb. She said they've been this way for a couple weeks now. At first she thought it might have been because of the heat (they're having 100+ temps in TX) but then she noticed some sneezing (only sneezing, no coughing, etc.) and she got worried.

I'll try to contact her today and get some pictures. The first thing she asked me is if her birds had avian influenza, I laughed and told her how should I know? My mom tends to favor the hysterics... she said she just didn't want anybody to come in and take "all of her precious babies" away. [​IMG] I told her that's probably not going to happen, but I'd do some asking and see if I could help figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by