white peachick not looking so good...Edit doing better!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I have been keeping an eye on one of my white peachicks, it just happens to be the smallest one and that is my favorite one because it eats out of my hand and is not so spooky around me. The other two white peachicks run around and scramble to get to the food I put out and the one in question just walks up to the food, stares at it, then gets under the light (we have been leaving the light on for it). The peachick is puffed up with its wings slightly down and it likes to just sleep a lot under the light and when I tried to hand feed it its favorite kind of grass, it turned away. I can touch it, but sometimes it does put up a fight and walks away but before it didn't like to be touched.

I am thinking maybe worms or something? At what age can you treat peachicks for that? I think mine here at the house (Peep and the white ones) might all be old enough for worming. Do you think I might have to give the wazine directly to the white one I am worried about like squirt it down its throat? I want to be careful treating peachicks.[​IMG]

I was hopping that the peachick was just tired but it hasn't improved. Although maybe it is tired? We leave the light on at night for them and it attracts bugs and they run around catching them.

Anyways I hope someone can help.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Sorry guys, I think this is a false alarm. I think I jumped to conclusions too quickly! Well here is the deal...My dad went out of town for a few days and normally he is the one who feeds them because I am at school and he knows more about their food likes. It turns out that the smaller peachick doesn't eat plain mash it eats wet mash and I hadn't been feeding them wet mash so the poor thing wasn't eating because I hadn't been giving it wet mash! I had no idea about that...Oops.[​IMG] So when my dad told me to put wet mash out there I put it out and the peachick I thought that was sick jumped off of the log it was on and ran to the mash and started gobbling it down along with the other chicks. I don't think it is sick. Also I remembered that this peachick is really active at night trying to catch those bugs. The other two white peachicks take breaks every now and then at night but the small one doesn't really take many breaks and it just runs around a lot. I think it is just turning nocturnal on me and it was just bad looking cause the poor thing hasn't been getting its wet mash.

3. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    You may still want to treat them for Blackhead as well to worm them. You can contact Doug or Steve to see what the dosage is for peachicks. I know you trust them.

Ricky

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Yes I think I will have to treat them. That one is acting pretty lethargic. We still are not sure if it is tired or sick...It is hard to tell. All the others are fine but it is just that one that is acting really tired.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Try some sugar water and poly visol without iron in there water for a couple days, it won'y hurt them and wold be good for all of them,

You have no other birds there i would not put chimicals in a sick chick if i was not sure what was wrong with them,worming would be better when the chick feels better.

I had a couple of my chicks that got like that this year, so i did the water, and started feeding them scrambled eggs every morning and in a week they all looked better , then i wormed them
    [​IMG] Bet it will be just fine with your help
    [​IMG]

6. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Aww what a cute picture!

Today the peachick is not all better, but it does have a bit more energy. It ate a little mash and some lettuce I gave it but it didn't eat much. It walks around slowly and when it has to hop over the wood slats in the pen it kind of trips over them. It is sorta weak. We have safe-guard in their water but maybe we will try the sugar water. I feel so sorry for the poor thing watching it with the other peachicks. I threw in some grass for them to eat and they were scrambling to get it and the sick one slowly lowered its head to get some. I hope tomorrow it will have more energy.

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Today the peachick is doing better, almost back to normal I would say. It is still a little slow acting but it ate, drank, and didn't lie around a bunch. It was able to stand up and preen without falling over and it even chased one of the peachicks to steal a piece of fruit from their mouth so I would say it is doing better. Oh and it flew up onto a perch and flew inside one of the boxes so I think it is okay. The other peachicks keep stepping on it though, the poor thing. It is the smallest peachick I am thinking it is the only female chick out of the three whites.[​IMG]

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Poor little thing... why do they steal our hearts? Keeping feathers crossed that it continues to improve!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by