White Pekin Duck Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shoeshine101, Jul 25, 2013.

1. shoeshine101

shoeshine101 Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi guys, I'm new here, but I need some help. I have 3 white pekin ducks who i can get about 2 feet close to, but not pet them.
    They're not technically mine, they were left here by my neighbors friends, but they pretty much live on on our yard. They were hand raised as well. 2 of them are males and the other one is female. My older brother chases them sometimes, and I think it puts me back when it comes to befriending them. So, I'll cut to the chase. They will eat out of my hand, the 2 feet close to thing is without food. So, I want to know, what should I do if I want to pet them, or even hold them? I associate myself with food every day, and sometimes sit and watch them. One day, they were sitting under the tree, I sat down, and they paraded around me. That, day, they would nibble my toes, and after that day it stopped. Also, the two males bite he female's neck while they drink out of the dish, what does that mean? And, how could I forget, I have a dam and it's pretty big. The ducks won't swim. I suppose they never had a chance to swim while young, because they won't now. However, one might sit in the waterbowl from time to time. There's no real dominant duck here. They were born in April, one of the baby ducks for easter gifts, and then they get big and dumped them here.
    Also, the female acts weird sometimes. Thats about it, so please help me out here, and post stuff and try to help me out. Thank you.

2. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Songster

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Hi and welcome!! Feel free to come join us over on the Pekin Duck Club thread! So sad they were left there and you are a wonderful person for trying to care for them.

As for your questions...

Yes, your brother chasing them is going to set you back on getting them to not be as standoffish... it just takes lots of time, patience, and PEAS! LOL - they LOVE frozen, thawed peas. Any leafy greens are good too - like romaine, arugula, kale.... Also, when ducks are in a group as opposed to raising 1 house duck, then tend to stick with each other rather than you. It's possible that they may never really "cuddle" up. I'd say you are doing a good job already, bringing them treats, sitting down in the midst of them, etc.

Now, the bad news about your ducks is that you will need to re-home one of the males or pick up a couple more females. The neck biting is just another sign that they are getting ready for mating and ducks often prefer to mate on the water. However, having 2 drakes to your 1 girl can get your girl killed - at best case she will be very stressed by being over-mated, which will also interfere with her health and laying. Ideally, it should be 1 male to 3 females, although you can often get away with a pair. Having 2 males, you should probably consider getting a minimum of 3 more females.
    I don't know what you mean about the female acting weird but it might also just be that she's coming of age, which again, will be dangerous for her with 2 drakes.

That's sad about the swimming... give them time and they might take to it. It's really important for the health of their feet and feathers to have swim water. At the very least, make sure they have water deep enough to dunk their entire head into as they need to be able to wash their eyes and nostrils.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want - there are some great duck people on here!

3. shoeshine101

shoeshine101 Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Well,they aren't house ducks. What I meant about the female is that she kinda takes her time coming for her food. Sometimes she won't come over at all. I provided them with a bowl. Sometimes one will sit there in it. I really can't get more ducks, I had 4 mallards and when I let them out 2 died, 1 I don't know about, and one survived. His name was speedy. I could feed him, but the pekins seem much more easily befriendable. I was giving moldy bread to the fish and they came over and watched.

4. shoeshine101

shoeshine101 Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    They seem like they want to know more about me, often checking out what I'm doing outside. They will run to me when they see me with a hose, which is usally I'm filling their bowl with clear water. The one drake seems like a third wheel, often wandering a bit away at some times. I've read pekins are horrible mothers when it comes to eggs. But I don't want to get one of those expensive incubators, id make a homemade though. My neighbors are building something for them in the winter. I'll probaly visit them, maybe with some food good for them. Id like it if these ducks kinda repopulated around here.

5. shoeshine101

shoeshine101 Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Also, I can't get more ducks or get rid of a drake. Anything else I can do?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by