white pekin ducks. a couple questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cupman, Aug 14, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I was thinking about getting a few ducks to add to my other pet birds because I've heard they are social and let's be honest, ducks are awesome. I was thinking of going small, maybe getting no more than 5. What kind of accommodations will I need to make for them. I have done a little reading and it says they can't fly, what kind of pen do I need to make for them? I've heard some ducks don't even need a pond to swim around in, are white pekin ducks a type that doesn't need a pond, or will I need to make one? Do I need to worry about male/female ratio as such I do with chickens or are they more gentle on their females and less aggressive? That's all for now, any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

On the pool, I have a Pekin cross that LOVES her pool. She would be so depressed without it. She just adores it. And they are ducks, they need water, IMO. On drakes...I'm not sure what the ratio exactly is, but you want a lot more hens then drake. If you want 5, I would say one drake and 4 hens.
    Good luck!

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    What kind of accommodations will I need to make for them? Well you will need a house to pen them up in at night about three feet per bird for the house should be fine.
    I have done a little reading and it says they can't fly, what kind of pen do I need to make for them? I would sagest making a run for them, it does not need to be covered b/c they most likely wonÂ’t be able to fly, but if they do just clip their wings, but if birds of pray are a problem you may what it covered to keep them from getting your birds, about 10 feet per bird for the run should be fine.
    I've heard some ducks don't even need a pond to swim around in, are white Pekin ducks a type that doesn't need a pond, or will I need to make one? I would use a kiddy pool or two, ducks love water it would be mean to not give them a pool, plus it helps them breed and stay clean and healthy.
    Do I need to worry about male/female ratio as such I do with chickens or are they gentler on their females and less aggressive? No they no better then chickens when it comes to breeding and ratio, I think two or three hen per drake is ok. Good luck, have fun, and read up on all the duck stuff you can get your hands on it really helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by