White Pekings growth rate

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Outhouser, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Outhouser

Outhouser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Minford
    Any info as to the growth rates of White Peking ducks? Basically seeking from 3 day old ducklings to adult. Any help is appreciated.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just for starters, it seems to me that they double in size the first week or so. I am not exaggerating! Based on what I recall from Storey's Guide and my own runners, they hit almost adult size between 3 and 4 months, up in the 90%s by around 7 months. So the initial growth rate is (seemed to me, anyway) astronomical, slowing down at around 3 to 4 months as their bodies shift energies into developing into sexual maturity and getting ready for breeding.

Would love to read some statistics from someone on this.

3. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    The feed is the key to the first few weeks. If they get the right feed (non medicated chick starter) from day 1 thru maybe 4 weeks...the growth is fairly predictable and steady. If they are under-nourished they can become stunted and sometimes fall ill before feathers come in. You should be able to see growth each week. if that is doubtful or has stopped, adjust the feed and nutrients. They need more protien early but it needs to be moderated later and held to 18% to prevent certain duck specific ailments.
    Ducklings do 2 things (3 actually) during the first 6-8 weeks...eat & sleep. The 3rd is the by-product of #1. Keeping feed available to the ducklings at all times of the day & nite helps their growth. They will slow down on the eating once they mature a bit. Then you can regulate their diet a little better so they don;t get fat and develope liver disease. Yes, ducks get it too..from over eating as adults.

I know its a little vague, but its been written that if they are fed properly they should grow at a rate of almost doubling in size about every 2 weeks....I found that a doubling in size takes more like a 3-4 week period but you should be able to easily see the duckling fill out and get their voice...as the days pass you can see the drakes tail turn, and the females go from a barking to a real quacking. The change of voice and these other things all happen with being fully feathered. As they start getting their feathers it happens pretty quick. I have a (had) a duckling that now qualifies as a duck...a little work on the quack and she'll be good to go join her adult cousins. Because shes an orphan she has to be big enough to fend off adult attacks both male & female that will challenge her being new to their pond.

It's an interesting process. I tried to document this one with daily photos but the plan got lost after a few weeks. I rescued her egg and hatched the "hairy beast" as she was nick-named, so she's kinda special around here.

Hope this helps with what to expect.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can almost see them growing.

My Pekins were all 8 pounds at 8 weeks and the drake I kept was 9 pounds at 8 weeks. They continue to gain weight after 8 weeks, but at a lot slower rate.

I just picked up my Pekin drake this morning. It's like picking up a rock. He's completely solid and heavy and the feathers feel like he is armor plated. He's about 5 months old right now. Maybe I should get him weighed again.

5. Outhouser

Outhouser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Minford
    Thank you all so much, that was just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I already have two mature pekings and love them, so I leaped into the duckling world. Here we go!

6. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Its simply amazing at how fast they (all breeds of duck) will grow once they hit their stride...I see new feathers daily on my little one, and she makes new noises each day. She was a slowwwwww starter but has really taken off the last 4 weeks especially since getting a "friend" to hang out with.

Regarding the size/weight...My big Rouen Drake (perfect specimen) is like Oregon describes...solid, heavy like a bowling ball ( born last May) with wings and a beak. I failed to appreciate his size until he got the idea of flying to me (at me) from across the yard and trying to land on my shoulder where he thinks he has a parking space...

That first shoulder landing was a little rough....but he's improved his technique since and I've learned how to catch a flying duck and make it look graceful.

7. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Metzer Farms has the feed to weight all charted out for you by age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by