White Pheasants???

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Tab003, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Tab003

Tab003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    My Daughter came home from the fair w/ 2 white pheasants. I have never heard of white, so I assumed they were Silvers, but they are not. All white w/ red mask around the face.
    Are white pheasants crosses? For meat??
    Tab

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I found this on MacFarlane Pheasants

http://www.pheasant.com/AboutUs/SuccessStories/BetterBirdsMoreMeat/tabid/145/Default.aspx

"Over the years, MacFarlane Pheasants, Inc has developed a white pheasant. This white pheasant was cross bred with a ringneck and through selective breeding has become the large meaty bird that today is used for over 100% of our meat production.

A white pheasant is important in meat production because of the pigmentation of their feathers. Darker plumage has darker pigmentation and can leave behind darker spots on the meat."

[​IMG]

3. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    There are white ringnecks (we raised some of these for awhile) and then there are also Alaskan snow pheasants. The white ringnecks we had were pure white as you described. If I remember correctly the snow pheasants will have some brown or black speckling on them.

4. Tab003

Tab003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Thanks for the help.
    I guess they are white pheasants. They look just like the pic posted.
    Now, I need to decide to keep them or make dinner.
    Thanks again
    Tab

5. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Keep them [​IMG] I dissaprove of bird nomming. Anyway they're probably very expensive and you probably got them from someone who didn't realize they're valuable [​IMG]

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:their meat birds, you can get them for a dime a dozen pretty much.

7. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    there 2 male white mutant ringnecks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by