1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

White Plymouth Rock Chicks Oddly Colored...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, May 6, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have five chicks that came from Cackle Hatchery that are supposed to be White Rocks. I know that this is very likely a case of "Hatchery Quaility" birds that differ in some way from the APA standard for the breed. I am hoping these hens are White Rocks but now I am noticing a black wash to the legs of the largest chick. I purchased them believing them to be all pullets but now (given my experinace with other Plymouth Rocks) that I may not have all pullets and I may not have White Rocks.

My question is about genetics, is it possible a chick with this much grey to feather out into a fairly presentable version of the White Rock? How do hatcheries end up with chicks that are so un-like the chicks of private breeders? Are these White Rocks or not?

PICS:

Three days old:

[​IMG]

Now at three weeks they are begining to feather out white but are keeping their gray markings? Will these fade?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I'm not sure about the leg color, but I have White Silkie & White Ameraucana chicks that hatch smoky grey & feather out pure white. Some look splash at first & some (Silkies) look almost alarmingly dark. It does look like they're feathering white. [​IMG] But I can't tell you what breed they are.

In my opinion & experience -- a hatchery's goal is quantity, not quality. Reputable breeders focus on quality. That said, as more people get into chickens & fancy themselves "breeders" you are finding a lot of garbage out there from so called breeders as well.

To buy good quality birds, you have to really do your homework! If someone calls their stock show quality -- ask how they've placed with the variety you're interested in. Look at pics, ask how long their breeds have been penned separately, whose lines they have, etc. You don't really have those options with a hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by