White Plymouth Rock hen.........why no eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Malmal, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Malmal

Malmal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    This is Bob(all of my hens have boy names til they lay)she is almost 7 months old. She hasn't started laying yet! Why ?! Only conclusion I have is maybe she started moulting before she started laying ? Do I have her breed wrong ? Help

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How do you know she's not laying? Have you confined her by herself? Hens can lay in weird places if they free range, and they can be stealth layers in any case. Unless you have a camera there you just might not be catching her.

She does look like a white Rock hen.

3. Malmal

Aug 15, 2014
    Funny you ask. I have two layers at the moment, both of which are leghorns. The third leg horn I have Just now started growing her comb at 7 months....Now,
    Bob ( as pictured above ) if she is indeed a white plymouth should have brown eggs. She sings an egg song every few days but she isnt as verbal as the leghorns. I keep an eye on my chickens 98% of the time, and Bob stays close to my rooster constantly. Never leaves his side. But still no stinking eggs ! Argh

4. Malmal

Aug 15, 2014
    Bump

5. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    She looks mature enough to lay but chickens are like all living things the time of maturity will vary from individual to individual. A seven month old pullet that isn't laying isn't unusual, and for most breeds it would be normal. Also understand that all species produce individuals that are sterile. Males that do not produce viable sperm and females that do not produce ovum. I have had a number of hens over the years that never produced an egg. Regardless of that your pullet is still too young to worry about. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by