1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Plymouth Rock or Leghorn or something else??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heby, Jan 18, 2014.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    He has white legs, almost like albino. His beak is also very pale with white earlobes I believe. He even has white right above his wattles on the sides. Almos looks bleached. He's pretty tall and stocky. I have to downsize on some roos so I want to make sure I advertise him correct.

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like a Leghorn.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've never seen a White Leghorn with white legs....maybe a White Dorking? Not sure of their leg color. Definitely not a White Rock.

4. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    We used to joke that he was albino cause his legs were so white and so was his beak.

5. Beekissed

Do RIWs have white legs? Not sure as I've never seen one.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could be a hatchery-quality White Leghorn; some of those have improper white legs.

7. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    A coyple of months ago, I was informed by someone here that Leghorns with the silver gene have(and are supposed to have) white legs. :shrug: I havent seen anyone say that since, though!

This cockerel's comb is about half the size of our girls' combs and doesnt have the long, draping tail that Leghorn guys that I have seen do?

8. Beekissed

[​IMG]

Borrowed from the Feathersite.com site because it's the only one I could find that shows a White Dorking rooster. They are a stocky bird....but a leghorn cockerel isn't by any stretch of the imagination and leghorns also have a longer wattle than your boy.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think he's likely a mix. Are those some black/dark feathers I see on him? Don't you have hens of the same color? I'd guess one Leghorn parent, and the dominant white cancelled out whatever other color you would have seen from the other parent. Seems I read somewhere white legs are dominant--I'm not positive on that so don't quote me--- if so the other parent could have been an Orpington or a Sussex, something white skinned.

10. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    We got him as a colored chick for Easter so im not sure about parents. Theres no dark coloring in him. All white. It may b some dirt on him in the pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by