1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White plymouth rock pullets for the freezer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lmz534, Aug 9, 2011.

1. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    I ordered 8 White Plymouth rock pullets (day old) with the intention of stuffing them all in my freezer at some point. I do not like the "Frankenchickens" Cornish RockX, they creep me out! So I thought I'd go oldschool with these chicks. My questions are, what is the best organic feed I can give them, how often and with proper feeding, when should they be ready to butcher?(since I know they grow slower than the Frankenchickens) Any help would be appreciated. I'm kinda new to meat birds. Thanks guys!

Proud mama of 2 human kids, 1 German Shepherd, 1 housecat, 1 TB horse, 2 Holland Lops and 1 super sweetie-pie Buckeye Hen named "Doris".[​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    you should get a dark cornish roo,then you can have meaties at any time. too bad those rocks are going to freezer camp. I would keep em with my dark cornish bulldog roo and make my own frankenchickens.

3. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Butcher at any time you like. Not sure why you are butcher young hens. Pullets/hens will mature slower but for cockerels, they will be a good enough size at about 14 to 20 weeks.

Let them free range and they won't really eat that much feed. Mainly get them started and once feathered let them loose outdoors.

If you have a feed mill in the area then they can grind you a mix of you own choosing or they will offer their favorite recipe

If they are laying hens then wait about two years then replenish the flock and cull the older hens.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If they were hatchery ordered WR's you may be a tad disappointed with their growths weights and size, I agree to put them with a good sized rooster-Non Hatchery stock and raise the chicks to processing, your results will be a little better.

5. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Not everyone can have roosters in their backyards. Even little ones crow and will bust your operation. I know of which I speak. :)

ETA I don't know from organic feed, but my easteregger capons and roos were ready to butcher at about 5 1/2 - 6 months. The hens were still pretty small at that age, they are as big as I think they are going to get now, at 9 months old.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!!! Unfortunately, A rooster is out of the question for me, I live two blocks off our public square in a fairly urban setting and our zoning has graciously allowed me to obtain birds, permitted I don't have any noisy roos. I hate to butcher young hens too, but right now it's my only choice for home raised meat! Maybe someday I will be rural again [​IMG]

7. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    My 14 week white rock would not be worthy of freezer camp if that was my plan for her - she weighs a live weigh of about 3 lbs - not exactly a big meal. Will you be processing these birds yourself? You can probably get a nice batch of soup from each rock but if you want to wait longer a dinner for two can be in order - maybe 3 lbs dressed if you are lucky by 24 weeks. Good luck.

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am raising white rock cockerels for meat. Understandable that you are raising pullets, since you can't have roos. I too am horrified by frankenchickens, and would rather raise these guys at the cost of longer raising time. Mine are excellent free rangers, very active in their grazing for plants and bugs to eat. They are ten weeks old this coming Monday. For hahas I grabbed an 'average' sized cockerel and plonked him on a kitchen scale (was holding his feet and letting most of his body rest on the scale). He was 2lbs 10oz. Not HUGE at all, but I'm gonna give 'em at least five weeks, if not more. I assume right now they are building their frame and not their muscle mass, since they are still growing like weeds stature wise.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes i would get male wr chicks, butcher at 12 weeks, these will be still fryers, after 13 weeks they are roaster....now males will be larger than the pullets.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Are you allowed to have ducks? Male ducks are quiet and the Pekin grows a bunch of delicious meat in very little time with good feed conversion. They are big enough to butcher at 7-8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by