1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Plymouth Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TBathory, Sep 20, 2015.

1. TBathory

TBathory New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm curious is my White Rock is a hen or Rooster. I thought all of my chickens were hens but this fella has been mounting one of the other gals. I know that hens will do this sometimes to prove their dominance, but I have four chickens and only get three eggs per day. I'm new to owning chickens and these guys are about six months old so maybe the number of eggs is irrelevant. I'm looking for some expert opinions. Thanks

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    White chickens are very hard to photograph to be able to see 'rooster' type feathers. I'm guessing it is a he since he is mounting the girls. I have ten hens and they have been laying for exactly a year now and I've NEVER gotten 10 eggs on any day. 3 eggs a day is awesome!

Is he not crowing?

3. TBathory

TBathory New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    No crowing....so MAYBE it's a she.

4. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    It sure looks like a she to me. Rocks to have a bit of a reputation for being the bullies if the flock. My barred rock pullet will go so far as to even attempt to crow sometimes!

5. TBathory

TBathory New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    Okay cool, thanks for the feedback!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a she to me, too. Usually, roosters are the ones doing the mounting. However, this year, I've had two White Wyandotte bantam definite females who were dominantly mounting the other birds.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

it looks female to me, but a closer pic could help confirm. As stated, white birds are hard to see the saddle feathers in photos.

8. Bushelandahpeck

Bushelandahpeck New Egg

Apr 9, 2015
    Central New York
    i thought mine was a she too.. for so long.. and then he crowed fnally one day! she went from "penelopeep" to penelopete.

9. Bushelandahpeck

Bushelandahpeck New Egg

Apr 9, 2015
    Central New York
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    HE is gorgous!!

To the OP, closer pictures might help. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by