white poop

PeggySueQ

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
occasionally, one of my hens does a "white poop". It's about the size of a quarter, flat on the ground and not real wet. Is this a sign of a problem?

Ooops, sorry Imp - did not mean to send you a private message, thought PM stood for post message. From the pictures I would guess my hen has a kidney problem. Hope that is not true. Let me check with you all. I feed my two hens chicken scratch, triple duty, pigeon feed (because I have those too), oyster shell and about three cups of greens/fruit per day (spinach, parsley, apple, banana and cucumber). They free range the yard and get grit and stuff that way. Could it be too many greens? Too much fruit?

Quote:
Don't worry about the PM. I get so few it was a thrill.
About the poop. Runny poop can be a sign of not eating well or drinking a lot. Also white runny poop is a sign of malnutrition. Try feeding her some scrambled or hard boiled egg and yogurt (the organic kind with the probiotics in it). You might just need to settle an upset digestive system. How many hens do you have? I don't know nutritionally about triple duty or pigeon feed. But make sure that the total amount of treats i.e.(fruits, vegs, scratch) is less than 10-15% of the total diet. You mentioned in the PM that you had a hen die of kidney disease. Could it be because of the triple duty or pigeon feed? I don't know what is in either, are they chicken safe? Hope she is OK.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom