White Pullet with White Earlobes Laid Brown Eggs...what is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jemima66, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Jemima66

Jemima66 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Upstate, NY (BRRR)
    A while back I had posted not knowing the breeds of my chicken and roosters a friend had given me. It seems that the rooster is a Rhode Island White or White Plymouth Rock since he has red earlobes. But I am positive I don't see any red on the pullet's ear lobes and thought she was a White Leghorn. I was also given a laying White Leghorn from the same people, so figured she might be as well.

Well, at approximately 22 weeks she started laying...brown eggs.

I don't have a very recent picture of her, but can go take one. However, I do have one of her younger pictures:

[​IMG]

What do y'all think? Thank you!

2. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    Brown eggs would indicate that it is not a leghorn. You most likely have a white Plymouth Rock. A Rhode Island white will lay an orange colored egg.

3. Jemima66

May 26, 2014
    Upstate, NY (BRRR)
    That is what I am speculating, but, don't White Plymouth Rocks have red earlobes? Could she be a cross? The people clearly had White Leghorns and either WPR or RIW's...

Does anyone know what a cross between a White Leghorn and a White Plymouth Rock or Rhode Island White might produce?

4. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    [​IMG]
    This is my white rock. Notice the really red ears. She is not quite laying yet but close

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A recent pic showing earlobes would be helpful.

Ear lobe color really has no genetic ties to egg color. Humans have bred them to have a connection in some breeds, but it's only selective breeding. She's not laying white eggs, so it doesn't matter what color her lobes are, she's not a Leghorn. A white Rock can carry dominant white, so could be bred to a number of other birds and throw white offspring.

I've never looked into genetics of dominant/recessive earlobe colors, so can't say where the white came from, except she could have some Leghorn in the woodpile. I have this hen, a mix who is probably 1/4 brown Leghorn, not the huge earlobes Leghorns have, but definitely some white there..
    [​IMG]

She lays a teal-ish color egg, from the EE side.

6. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with donrae. She is likely a WR or RIW or a mix with some WL. White earlobes can come through even several generations back and brown eggs just indicate that she clearly isn't pure leghorn. From your pic, I would guess not pure leghorn anyway, as she should have a lot more comb at that age.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree as well.

8. Jemima66

May 26, 2014
    Upstate, NY (BRRR)
    Thank you everyone for your replies and input! I am going to try and get a better picture tomorrow. She was very young in the one I posted...about three months. It's all fascinating stuff...I even watched her lay an egg today to be absolutely sure it came from her! And yup...still brown...but she just started laying last Saturday and is up to EIGHT in a row! Amazing.

The genetics is fascinating, even if I don't fully get it! :)

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a White Plymouth Rock to me.

10. Jemima66

May 26, 2014
    Upstate, NY (BRRR)
    Took this picture of her today!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by