White Rock and Buttercup Rooster had babies, ???'s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenichick, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I have a wonderful hen sitting on 7 eggs and two hatched already, they look just like their handsome daddy Buttercup. Well she hatched them in the nest box, I was going to move her and the nest and the babies into a crate in the run or other area of the coop. For those of you that might remember me my run is completely enclosed.

My questions is do I leave the crate door closed with her and the babies with food and water or do I leave it open so they can come and go, or maybe leave it closed for a few days then open it......

I've got to get them out of the nest box today before one falls out....

thanks

Jen

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    You need to keep them in a seperate coop where the other chickens can't get at them. If you can close them in within you established coop where the others can see but can't "get at them" that would be fine...POST PICS! I love buttercups! That is my avatar pic

3. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    That's my plan then I'll close them up in the crate then with their mom for a few days, just not sure for how long,

by the way they look just like your avatar....cute!

4. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Depends on the size of the crate. In a few weeks your chicks wont need moma no more but they will still be too small to be with grown chickens that will peck them. I usually wait at least 7 or 8 weeks before I chance them in the Big Pen. I don't know the size of your big pen or the number of occupents, or how many chicks.

5. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I was wanting to see how nature takes it's course without allowing any of the babies to get killed by the others. I don't have any aggressive hens (that I know of). I have a shop and large brooder I can move them into, I was just curious if anyone has ever let the babies be raised in the coop/run with the existing chickens.

If I let them out and they get picked on, I'll probably take over and move them to the shop for a while.

I was hoping the mom would protect them and I could let her do most of the work....this time. I've raised over a 100 by hand, just thought I'd try something different this time, but not sure of myself.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I had a silkie hen who had 7 eggs hatch, they all hatched in the coop and when they were a few days old she took them outside into the enclosed run with the other chickens (1 hen 1 rooster a 4 older babies) Whenever the other chickens would come near she would run after them and shoo them away and do her mean chicken thing, so a few of the older ones got pecked a few times, and after a week or 2 everyone learned to like each other, well almost... I think it all depends of your other chickens, I was told by a chicken pro one time as long as they have a mother to protect them everything should be ok !!!! But still keep an eye out. Good luck !!!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if you have lots of space and the hens are so busy exploring the world that they don't mind the chicks, and if mom only has a few, she can stay with the rest. My broody in the head girl has raised single chicks right in the coop with the rest no problem. The acclimation with the adults when broody kicks the chicks out (from under her wings) is also very easy and smooth. More than two or three chicks though I'd separate, as mom can't defend a mob of babies at the same time.

8. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Thank you both! That's encouraging info... she's only sitting on 7 eggs I suspect she'll only hatch 3-5 at the most. We moved her into a crate inside the coop tonight and the babies went and drank on their own, and she sat right down on her nest, and tucked the hatchlings under. I think after a couple of days, it will be safe to leave the crate door open and let her do the work. She'll only have 3-5 chicks, and all of our hens have been broody before, some have even shared setting on eggs before.

I'm gonna go out and check on them before I go to bed. Maybe I'll find another chick! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by