White rock and light brahma cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chrissouth20, Apr 21, 2019.

1. chrissouth20

chrissouth20 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    I am thinking of crossing a white rock rooster and a light brahma hen was wondering if anybody has and pics of the same crosses so I can get an idea. Looking to get a rooster out of it.

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Completely depends on the genetics of the white rock (which are hidden by recessive white) but the most likely outcome is sexlinked partridge-leakage columbian.

Columbian is dominant, and so it should appear on any of the paler colour patterns.

Partridge is what's usually hidden by recessive white. It tends to leak through other colour patterns.

Since the father probably carries gold, and the mother definitely carries silver, the male chicks should have a copy of both gold and silver, and the females should carry a single copy of gold. So the darker chicks should be female.

The chicks should have larger peacombs and lightly feathered yellow legs.

Welcome to BYC.

3. chrissouth20

chrissouth20 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    Thank you.

4. chrissouth20

chrissouth20 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    The guy I got the chicks off of where suppose to be a cross between copper back maran and isa brown but some how got a white rock rooster so I dont know exactly what he is.

5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Wait. BCM x ISA can I give you white chicks. And if that is his parentage, then he's dominant white, not recessive, and half of his offspring should carry white, and half of his offspring should be solid-coloured, leaving you with 1/4 of the chicks being white, and 1/4 being black. The others should be wheaten or partridge, and sexlinked as described above. I'd guess that at least some of the males should have mahogany shoulders.

6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I thought white rock was a breed, like barred rock.... so your chicken isn't a white rock, its a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: