1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White rock, Delaware, or New Hampshire?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Newchickenguy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Could someone help me decide which if these 3 breeds would best suit my needs? I want decent egg laying, around 4 eggs a week
    per hen and I plan on raising and freezing chicks in the spring for meat through out the rest of the year. All seem like they would fit the bill but I have never owned chickens and really I have no idea. The one thing I do know is I do not want cx chickens as meat birds. No offence to anyone here that does or has used them, its just my personal choice.

Anyway I have it narrowed down between these 3 breeds, I just need to pick as my chicken coop is half way assembled.

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Any of the three or a combination of any of them will be just what the Dr. ordered. I would say it would come down to your own personal color preference/pattern type.

I didn't help much huh? LOL

all three are a good choices for your needs and wants. IMO

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    I would NOT say the Sumatra. It's more of a show bird, and not for your needs. Get a Rock, or a New Hampshire Red.

Rocks in general are great birds, and they are very good layers. If you treat that breed right, the hen will lay 1 egg a day in the warm months. In winter, production goes down.

New Hampshire Reds are along the same lines as Rocks, except they lay a little less. Like 3 or 4 eggs a week, while Rocks are more 5 or 6 eggs a week.

And another thing. I would start out with Barred Plymouth Rocks. They are nice-looking birds, and less boring then plain White Rocks.

Here's a Barred Rock hen:
    [​IMG]

And here's a rooster:

[​IMG]

These are my birds. They may look pretty, but they're nothing like the ultimate show birds that grace the halls of chickens shows, like this one.

[​IMG]

As you can see, there's a big difference. But I got mine at a feed store, and as you can see, mine aren't half bad.

But good luck with your chickens.

I think Rocks are the birds for you. And I would advise you to buy high quality birds, that aren't from a cheapo hatchery or store. Get some birds from a good hatchery or breeder.

Enjoy your chicken travels!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you buy from a hatchery, there's really not going to be much difference. They'll all lay about the same and butcher out pretty close to the same.

If you really want size for meat birds, look into a private breeder. Scout out the threads here on the different breeds. I'm not sure on the others, but some folks here offer some really nice Delawares, and the males get quite large while still being docile and the females good layers. One that comes to mind goes by the user name bargain, check out her auctions, etc to get an idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by