white rock hens laying brown eggs?????help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by all8up4jr, Jan 10, 2012.

1. all8up4jr

all8up4jr New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    i have what i think are white rock hens and they are laying brown eggs with little dark spots. is this right? new to this backyard chicken raising and loving it.

2. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Yep. Rocks lay brown eggs. Egg color is determined by the color of the earlobe. Colored earlobe = colred egg (brown or green/blue if Easter Egger) white earlobe = white egg.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. all8up4jr

all8up4jr New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    thanks.. i have 5 white rocks, 2 black sexlinks, 3 other noy sure and im only getting one egg every other day. i just put a light in with them on jan. 5th.

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have white rocks too. Some lay plain brown egg and some have the speckles it's normal.

5. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    yep they lay brown eggs, minds just started to lay the other day.. had a few brown and a a bunch of the spotted ones..

6. rachelrulz

rachelrulz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Umm... My EE hen has pure white earlobes and she lays green eggs. [​IMG]

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:
    Similarly to the pea comb *often* being associated with green eggs, the EE is a pretty big exception since they are such a huge range of mutt. They can literally be bred from anything, as long as a blue or green egg-layer is somewhere in the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by