white rock male cross rhode island red female..what do i get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rdish60, Dec 21, 2013.

1. rdish60

rdish60 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    please .no guessing here....everyone knows about sex link chicks when one crosses rhode island males with white rock females (golden comets)...but what do you get with the reverse cross of white males cross red females? anyone ever tried this?? thanks for your time....ron

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:all of the chicks will look Silver at hatch..... and to about 4 weeks of age, you will get silver looking females and golden males, the males will look silver untill they start maturing, the females may show some red in their body due to Mahogany but its not going to be much, the males will show Lemon/yellow colored Hackles and Saddle when matured. their body will be silver

3. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
  4. rdish60

rdish60 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    well, thankyou very much...you have been very helpfull...i have bantams in a backyard setting here in pittsburgh..i may just hatch some of these this year..give them a little hybrid vigor and more eggs for me....ron

5. rdish60

rdish60 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    it is hard to find someone that really knows his stuff,so i just have to ask you a few more querys if you would be so kind..i always liked the spangled colored chickens,but speckled sussex bantams(large fowl would be tough here in the city) are extremely rare in the u.s. and almost impossible to obtain...spangled o.e. game bantams are around but they dont lay eggs worth a crap....would i get speckled reds if i crossed a spangled roos onto my rhode island red bantamss(which lay fairly well)??? and what would i get crossing a spangled roos onto a white rock bantam female ? sorry to bother you with all this stuff but it is very interesting to me and now i am retired and have the time to experiment a bit...thanks ron

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:there are two types of spangling, Autosomal spangling which you see in the Spangled Hamburgs and Spangling wich is based on recessive mottling(the kind you find in spangled OEG) if you have access to Spangled OEG bantams and wishe to cross them to Bantam RIR to obtain Red Spangled RIR looking birds then I have good news and bad news for you.. the good news are. Spangled Old English Games are Moslty Wildtype meaning their Pattern will not affect the RIR pattern at all, this means that RIR genetics are dominant over it.... the F1s genetic make up should be e+/eWh Co/co+ Mh/Mh s+/s+ Mo+/mo but get yoruself the darkest ones you can find, as they carry all of the red enhancers you need to keep RIR good coloration... the Bad news.... Mottling is recessive so one copy of the gene which your F1 cross should have(Mo+/mo) will not show mottling... you see mottling needs two copies of the gene... then how do you get two copies? well mate F1 x F1 and you will hatch some Red Mottled birds... cross this birds to bantam RIR and repeat process this will bring more of the RIR productive traits back.. here a nice colored pair of spangled OEGB
    Quote:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  7. rdish60

rdish60 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    Hello again niclandia.....i think i get the idea ...we are trying to isolate the recessive genes from the spangles to make spangles and .. by crossing back to the rir thereby diluting other o.e. qualitys,not wanted...of course after the crosses you mentioned...i have some very dark,almost black rir...might be pretty neat to try to create a new variety...you sure know your stuff...thankyou...can you suggest a good book to educate a poor working class stiff like me...hey...you should set up a website and charge for this !!....you could call it what wlll you get, when you cross a blank with a blank??...thanks very much

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by