White Rock with growth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rudibell, May 16, 2011.

1. Rudibell

Rudibell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Just got my dozen chicks for this year [​IMG]
    One of the White Rocks has a weird growth on the throat/neck area [​IMG] They have NOT been vaccinated (vaccination could be the reason for swelling there...so that's not it).
    Has anyone experience with this? The chick seems to be fairly healthy and is eating and drinking. Maybe she's not running around as much as the others...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE:
    Chick is still happy and seems to unaware of the 'lump'. It's not hard, just feels like the rest of the chick. Any other opinions, besides a tumor? It's fine to leave it in with the others, right?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You have to upload your pictures first -- either straight here (using the "Uploads" button above) or to a photo host site online like Photobucket that you can link. We can't see your hard drive [​IMG]

3. Rudibell

Jan 13, 2010
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    -

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Is the lump hard to the touch? It is in the location of the crop which makes me wonder about the possibility of an impacted crop but I'd think the chick should be acting sickly by now if that were the case. The only other thing that comes to mind is a huge tumor. [​IMG]

5. Rudibell

Jan 13, 2010
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Lump isn't extra hard to the touch, feels the same as rest of chicken. Since it's doing fine, could it just be a 'swollen crop'?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by