1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

White Rock Wyandotte or RI White

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RRPoultry, Feb 13, 2014.

1. RRPoultry

RRPoultry New Egg

Feb 10, 2014
    Fl
    I have a hen who has confused me a friend picked it up at an auction saying it was a White Leghorn, great i thought till she layed a brown egg. now she is filling out and i don't know what breed she is and differentiating advice would be really appreciated.i will post a picture of my hen tomorrow.

2. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    What type of comb does it have, and what color legs? If single and yellow, probably a white rock. If rose and yellow, most likely a white wyandotte. Rhode Island whites are very rare, I doubt you would find one at an auction. It could, of course, also be a mutt. The picture will help to be more certain.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    White Leghorn will have a white ear lobe and big floppy single comb, even on the girls. Lays white eggs.

White Rock will have red earlobes and a single comb, not as big as the White Leghorn, lays brown eggs.

Rhode Island White will have a rose comb (true type to breed standard) but some hatcheries sell a single comb variety (such as Cackle), red earlobes, lays brown eggs.

White Wyandotte will have a rose comb, red earlobes and lay a light brown egg.

I agree that if it has a rose comb and yellow legs, it is likely a Wyandotte as a true RIW is rare.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    White Leghorn- yellow legs, single comb, slender build, white eggs

White Rock- yellow legs, single comb, large build, brown eggs

White Wyandotte- yellow legs, rose comb, average size build, brown eggs

Rhode Island White-yellow legs, rose comb, brown eggs

I would be highly shocked if it was a rhode island white. If you post a picture it should be really easy for us to tell you which of the following it is.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She may be a White Plymouth Rock is she is laying brown eggs. Could you post a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by