White Rock x Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CheepSunglasses, May 30, 2010.

1. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Has anyone tried this cross? Someone gave us some eggs that we have just hatched and we were wondering if they are sex linked, as they are two different colors- either dark gray or light tan. As far as we know, there is no other breed in there- but they sure are cute.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They should be a Sex-link if the the Rooster was the White Rock and the Hen was the Cuckoo Maran...

Chris

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep, as long as the white Rock roostrer wasnt masking barring, they will be sexlinks.

4. CheepSunglasses

Apr 3, 2009
    Thank you- I just love this list! This is a little more complicated, in that the exact cross is: "she is 3/4 cuckoo
    Marans and he is 1/2 Cuckoo Marans and 1/2 White Rock." What I have ended up with so far is (1) dark gray cuckoo type chick, three white/buff colored with faint gray markings, one one that is buff with more gray, sort of like a porcelain d'uccle. Not knowing a lot about color genetics, I wondered if the color was sex-linked. Or, it could be that this is just so mixed up that they could be everything. I appreciate your insights.

5. CheepSunglasses

Apr 3, 2009
    PS: What would cause the sex-linked trait in this mix? Is it the white rock crossing with something else? Pardon my ignorance, but this is darned interesting.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    So is your roo white like a white rock or what ? White Rocks are generally recessive white so if he was White Rock X CM, then he should be cuckoo/barred or black. But if he is CM X WR then no, he should have the barring gene in him somewhere, especially since he is a roo, so he wouldnt produce sexlinks.

If he did, the sexlink trait that is working in this case would be that of black sexlinks with using a nonbarred roo on barred/cuckoo hens, a lot of people think you have to have a red roo, but for black sexlinks, you can use any barred or cuckoo hen, with any roo as long as he is not barred, not masking barring, and not dominant white, to make sexlinks in which the roos will be barred and the hens will be solid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by