White Rocks as DP?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by johnsons-r-us, Oct 27, 2011.

1. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Have/do any of you have/raise white rocks as meat birds?

How about straight cornish?

Pros/Cons?

Looking for something to add soon....and don't think the breeds I have are great at being meaties [​IMG]

Thanks!

(and really don't want to do the CX as of now.....)

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    White Rocks are pretty good meat birds, but you won't get as nice a bird as you would with the Cornish X. I've never raised straight white Cornish.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Every year, when I was a boy, my dad would bring home 250 White Rocks, straight run, for me to raise for the family of 9. Meat birds indeed. Until the Cornish-RockX was developed, improved and marketed, the White Rock and Delaware were the meat birds of their day. In my book? They remain outstanding examples of a heritage meat bird. The hens lay well, the roosters make great meat birds. What more could you want. They won't be as fussy as an X, will range well, and are wonderful in personality. The "white" makes them visible and on a green pasture? There is no prettier sight. Ok, ok, I'm very biased. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. kfacresagain

kfacresagain Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    don't waste your time looking for a white cornish, unless you want a bantam. you won't find any, and you sure won't find any if you're looking to raise meat birds for a backyard table project....

5. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Ideal Poultry has other colors of Cornish if you want to try them though

6. kfacresagain

kfacresagain Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Quote:and using hatchery sourced cornish birds, will get you about as far in chicken life. as turning in a gobbler turkey to mate the chicken hens will...

7. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:and using hatchery sourced cornish birds, will get you about as far in chicken life. as turning in a gobbler turkey to mate the chicken hens will...

It was just a suggestion, hatchery birds are much easier to obtain then breeder stock. And much cheaper.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS

It was just a suggestion, hatchery birds are much easier to obtain then breeder stock. And much cheaper.

I thought it was a valid and good suggestion - not all of us are running out to buy hundred dollar breeding trios so we can show - we just enjoy experimenting out in our own yards and sometimes need a little feed back on possibilities/potentials to help kickstart an idea. Hatchery stock is a good way to start and much more pocket book friendly to practice with until you get really on a roll with something, then you could invest in better quality animals.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Fred's Hens :

the White Rock and Delaware were the meat birds of their day. In my book? They remain outstanding examples of a heritage meat bird. The hens lay well, the roosters make great meat birds. What more could you want. There is no prettier sight. Ok, ok, I'm very biased. [​IMG]

Some well bred WR's are a great choice, giving good consideration to your source will go along way in their production of meat. I had some very good heritage WR's that were some of the best birds Iv'e owned. They grow nice and fast, and I agree they are a darn pretty sight to gaze at and easy on the eye.​

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have all DP in my flocks and I purposely choose heavy breeds that lay well....of all the breeds I've ever owned, the White Rocks were the heaviest. As for laying? I have some that are 5 years old and still laying every day or every other day in peak season. They are good mothers, hardy to the max, good dispositions, thrifty on feed, forage well and are too darn big and heavy for a hawk to even contemplate.

They get my vote for the best all around DP breed with Black Aussies and New Hamps coming in a close second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by