White Rocks rock!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rocmoc, Oct 18, 2009.

1. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    In this last batch of chicks we purchased two White Rocks. I can believe how much faster & bigger they grow. At 9 weeks they are as big as my Production Reds. Wow! Funny thing is they also act older, hanging out with the older hens and already going inside the nest boxes. Chickens are sure amusing to watch.

rocmoc n AZ

2. Puck-Puck

Puck-Puck Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, there!
    I'm one of those people who gets confused by similar names. Do you mean White Plymouth Rocks, or is White Rock something different?

3. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    I have white rocks & rhode island reds THe rocks grew faster & started crowing 3 weeks sooner than the reds all where same age,however The Reds out grew the whites in size at about 24 weeks

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:White Rocks are Plymouth Rocks that are White.

So yes, they are the same thing.

5. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Yup. My white rock, Zoe, is the biggest chick by far at 4 weeks.

6. TruthHunter

TruthHunter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2009
    Quote:There you have it. That is why the Rock is in the Cornish Rock X meat bird.

Apparently the White Rocks contribute the fast early growth genes plus being decent
    layers compared to the Cornish. Of course, the commercial Birds have 85 years and
    millions of dollars of further development to make them what they are today.

7. Puck-Puck

Thank you for the clarification, Buster52. This is news I can use!

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    You're welcome. I'll be dumping most of mine soon, having decided to go in a different direction with my layers. They are nice looking birds, though.

9. Puck-Puck

??? Buster??? Might I ask why you are dumping them? If memory serves, you were looking for a good, sustainable dual purpose/meatie strain. Are the White Rocks not working out for you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by