white rocks white eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nightshade, Jun 21, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay can anyone tell me if white rocks lay white eggs? I am looking for something besides leghorns that lays nice white legs. Because of too many bad experences with leghorns I have given up pn them. Any suggestions on replacements?

2. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    I'm pretty sure all rocks are brown layers.

if you still want decent white egg production and not from leghorns, you'll probably wanna go with hamburgs (small eggs) or minorcas (large eggs).

Do you have something against brown eggs?

ETA - Forgot about Ancona (small eggs)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  3. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    ChickenMan is right -- rocks lay brown eggs, even the white rocks (plumage color has nothing to do with egg color).

Most white egg laying breeds I've had have been pretty flighty. I've had Leghorns, Andalusians, and Polish. Of the three, I think the Andalusians were the best (though still skittish). Huge eggs, too.

4. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    I wanted a few white egg layers too. I purshased buttercups. They are to young to lay yet. They are more calmer than the 3 leghorns now . I don't know how they act when they are older. I hear the leghorns are pretty nutty. I hope the buttercups are not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Minorcas lay a large white egg.

But I have to ask - what's wrong with a brown egg layer? There are some lovely gentle breeds that lay beautiful eggs that are light brown.

6. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Quote:I can answer for the original poster. For me, when my dad visits he won't eat brown eggs so I want a couple of whites in there for him.
    I think I have 7 chicks that should produce white eggs.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Polish lay white eggs but they are smallish. The hens were flighty and the other chickens plucked them bald.

8. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have the opposite problem. Everyone who buys eggs from the dairy we sell to won't eat white because they think brown eggs taste better.

9. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I have nothing against brown eggs I have all brown layers except 2 ees. Some of the fokes that buy eggs from me would rather have white eggs. I have no clue why. So I was looking to replace the leghorns. Currently I get every thing from ivory eggs to the most gorgous med brown with reddish dark brown speckles I love our brown eggs. Some fokes are just odd I guess. LoL

10. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by