1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White rooster with small black markings?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PineShavings, Oct 10, 2013.

1. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    I bought some pullets from a guy for my other coop a few days ago and he threw in a rooster for free because he was about to change them out anyways.

[​IMG]

I thought it was a Leghorn at first, but the combs don't match up. He is over a year old, has some light gold on his wings and small black marks on his neck, wing areas, and some underneath him as well.

Sorry if the photo isn't that great, I was about 30 feet away and had to zoom in because he's barely ever been touched by humans.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Does he have a modified peacomb? Wonder if he is a leghorn mixed with an EE or something like that.

3. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe a california white? which is a leghorn cross

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 one of my friends makes super blue egg layers, he could be this

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The genes that make the white in a white Leghorn are extremely dominant. Any time you hatch a white Leghorn x ?? egg, you're going to get a white bird with some leakage, like the bird in the photo. Some commercial hatcheries make Leghorn cross hybrids, like the Cali White or the Tetra Tint, and those are all white birds with red or black leakage. There's no way to tell the parentage of this bird without other cues such as a modified pea comb and beard (EE mix) or feathered feet, or the leg color, etc.

For example, I have some Leghorn crosses that are out of my Lemon Blue Cuckoo Marans rooster, and some out of a wheaten Ameraucana. You can't tell the difference between the pullets except for the weird combs in the Ameraucana crosses and the feathers on the feet in the Marans crosses. Otherwise they look identical to each other, and to the OP's cockerel.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with WoS, one parent looks to have been a leghorn and that dominant white just covers up pretty much everything. Really, who knows what the other parent was, but Easter egger is as good a guess as any here, even the other parent itself being an ee/leghorn mix.

7. PineShavings

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    Thanks guys for the replies, whatever he is he's a keeper!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3

9. PineShavings

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    [​IMG]

Yeah, kinda like this (picture ^ is from internet)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by