1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White rubbery substance on chickens eye, what is it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kingsfarm, Feb 27, 2012.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    started out as a little white canka looking sore on bottom of eye...now it has covered the whole eye..now I can see some movement in top slit like, is this coming off? what is it? What to do?

2. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    What kind of meds can be used on eye of chicken?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Pics please?

4. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    I do not have camera for pics...Someone said it could be respiratory problem...is this possible...

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Any other symptoms?

6. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    No..she is fine otherwise, could this be a form of Avian flu...my RIR roo now has an eye the same, I don't know how long its been ... I thought he was pecked in the eye and maybe he has been....if another comes up with this.....but it has been so long she has had this....don't know...may just cull her & roo just in case its something the others can get...what do you think? thank you for the reply...

7. kingsfarm

Feb 25, 2011
    RIR roos eye is all clear now, let him out with the others, do you think I should try taking the substance off the hen with a q-tip? think it would hurt her, the roos just started sliding down then gone...

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would just leave it. If the roo's went away without intervention then I would allow the same for the hen.

I think these might be injuries judging by the lack of any other symptoms. Do you have any particularly aggressive birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by