White runny poop and lethargy

Loonchick

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Hi! Newbie here with partridge chantecler chicks. 8 weeks old.

Yesterday, I noticed one was keeping to herself, and didn't get flustered at all when I picked her up. She was lethargic, and keeping her eyes closed. The only physical symptom that I can see was one bout of white diarhea. The others are still looking extremely well; energetic, curious and no physical symptoms of any note.

I segregated her from the others right away, and have her back in the larger brooder box with her own food and water supply.

I gave her some milk, with my own probiotic mixed into it, last night by syringe, and she is perkier this morning. I gave her more of this this morning since it has seemed to help.

Vent looks normal. No tenderness when I touch her belly or crop area. No drainage from her mouth, eyes or nose. No bloody diarhea.

I was thinking it could be either:
1. salmonella (god forbid as I believe this is likely to be fatal)
2. she ate too many greens; they have access to iris plants and go crazy for the leaves for some reason :)
3. heat exhaustion? though they always have access to shade, and fresh water, and it was actually cooler yesterday than it has been.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I will call my local feed store for advice as well, but see lots of great information on this feed.

Thank you!

Heat stress can be delayed, so treating for it is always a safe move. Electrolytes with sugar will revive a chicken with many varied symptoms. You can't go wrong by doing it.

If these chicks are eating leaves and other greens, they need grit or they will eventually get crop and constipation issues.

Another cause of lethargy and runny poop is coccidiosis. It never hurts to treat the entire batch of chicks if you suspect this, and it's a possibility if the chicks are on soil most of the day and if the weather has been hot and moist.

Heat stress can be delayed, so treating for it is always a safe move. Electrolytes with sugar will revive a chicken with many varied symptoms. You can't go wrong by doing it.

If these chicks are eating leaves and other greens, they need grit or they will eventually get crop and constipation issues.

Another cause of lethargy and runny poop is coccidiosis. It never hurts to treat the entire batch of chicks if you suspect this, and it's a possibility if the chicks are on soil most of the day and if the weather has been hot and moist.
Thank you! She’s much better, back to her usual peppy self after a day of resting on her own and the milk solution.

Back
Top Bottom