White scab or spot on comb - what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gretchkin, Apr 15, 2017.

1. gretchkin

gretchkin New Egg

Jan 16, 2017
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Can anyone help me identify whether this chicken has fowl pox or something else? (Or nothing) I noticed a white scabby looking spot on her about a week ago. Now I see a few smaller ones too, in the folds (hard to photograph). What treatment is recommended?

Hen is acting normally and still laying.

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be a touch of a fungal infection called favus. There is not reason to separate her for this, but I would get a tube of clotrimazole (Lotrimin) or miconazole (Monistat 7 ) and apply a small amount daily. Here is some reading:
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/favus

[​IMG]
    photo by mountaintopchicken of mild favus

[​IMG]
    favus

DwayneNLiz likes this.
  3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    How often do you apply the miconazole? My poor rooster looks a lot like the picture above. I started with it on Sunday after they were in the coop, applying twice a day, early and late. Is that too much? It is looking lots better, so I don't want to stop, but neither do I want to overdose him on it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would apply it once a day, using gloves.

5. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Thanks, I'll do that. I've been using gloves per another suggestion, but I'm having problems with the search and couldn't find the original post.

6. MrsEskew

MrsEskew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    X2

7. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    That is what I thought. I should have dealt with this a couple of weeks ago, but I let it slide and his comb and wattles are white and crusty (better after a couple days of miconazole, though). He seems to appreciate the stuff and settles when I apply it. He is a Jubilee English Orp, and a good, gentle boy who manages the hens (and two younger roos) quite well, so I need to get him healthier again. He had some antibiotic cream for his eye this winter when it got infected, and the white stuff started just after that, but it didn't really develop much (I thought it was frostbite) until a couple of weeks ago when it warmed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by