White silkie advice needed

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
My kids and I would like to get 2 silkies- 1 white,1 black. But since we live in the desert we do not have grass. So we are wondering if anyone has had problems keeping their white silkies clean and well- white? we have lots of sand. If it is a problem we can get a buff. Luckily my lady that sells me chickens will have all the colors :)

Last edited:
They will get dirty, but it should wash out pretty well. However, you should be careful not to let them have too much sun, as that will make the feathers brassy. Brassiness is when white feathers turn yellowish due to direct sunlight. It is a serious defect when showing poultry, and it detracts from their pretty white look. Also, if you get Buff Silkies (or any Buff breed of chicken), you shouldn't let them out very long in direct sunlight, either, as that will bleach out their Buff color. Buff colored chickens should be a rich golden color, but when they get bleached out, that color fades to a dull yellow.

Last edited:
I have a tarp on top of most of the run. Not sure if that will prevent ALL sun but I think it will help. I was not planning on getting the silkies to show. I just enjoy their beauty. I have 5 hens for eggs and I wanted the silkies to look at lol. Someone told me they don't have very big eggs :)

Back
Top Bottom