White Silkie---Boy or Girl???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by citychickinthecountry, Jul 2, 2010.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Is my White Silkie a boy or girl? I think she's a girl, but she kind of crows a little. She shows no other signs of being a boy. She is almost 18 weeks and hasn't (obviously!) laid any eggs yet.

I had to lighten the picture a little bit, so I apologize for the fuzziness. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    That is SOOO a boy. Has the longest streamers I have ever seen......

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I vote boy too.

4. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    OMG!!! What are the chances?!?? I got 10 chickens in my order. I was supposed to get 1 male and 9 females and it looks like I may have gotten 2 females and 8 males!!!!! I'm really ticked off!!!!

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    what did you order all bantams or large fowl too? They do not sex bantams and the large fowl are not 100% correct with sexing.

6. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    You can get sexed silkies from MPC. But they do say they are only correct 90 percent of the time [​IMG]

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    That is def. a Roo, sorry......

8. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:MPC says they can sex silkies but with the difficulty of sexing bantams and silkies in particular I think 90% is way too high. For large fowl, 90% seems accurate though. I didn't sex my silkies I just ordered, I just got extra to increase my odds of getting at least one girl. It just didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $7 for a pet quality chick that had a greater chance of being sexed wrong anyway. As these are the last chicks I'm ordering and I can't seem to find any bantams locally, I didn't want to risk not having a silkie (cause I really want one!) because my "sexed" female turned out to be a male.

9. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    That s DEFINITLY a boy.

And most hatcheries have a gaurantee that comes with their sexing. If you ordered 10 chicks and 9 were suppose to be female and 1 was suppose to be male and your got 8 male and 2 female it sounds like you're entitled to some refund. Places that have a 90% gaurantee will refund for the chicks that were sexed wrong if you had a greater than x% sexed wrong.

10. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I got them from MPC. They have offered me a refund...when I last talked to them I only knew that I had 3 roosters. Now I know I have 7 roosters of the 10 chicks I got!!! One of the chicks died.

The partial refund is somewhat nice but I have a few big problems with it:

1) it doesn't fix the fact that I didn't get the chickens I wanted (females).

2) I'm having to find homes for the roosters that I don't want because I don't have enough hens and I don't have the room to get more hens for them.

3) I've grown attached the the little suckers to it breaks my heart to know that I've raised these chicks only to find out that they aren't the sex that I thought they were.

One thing I know for sure...I'm only getting grown chickens from now on so I know what sex they are! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by