White Silkie chicken with irritated and bloody anus.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynthia 085, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    HI
    My white silkie always had problems pooping (still has).
    The silkie poops really mushy; she has gotten better though.

The butt hole is full of poo; she does not clean herself.
    When I clean her and see her butt hole (ugh not the best conversation sorry) it is always open it does not close. My other chickens butt holes open when pooping and close after.

It is open and poop crusts are around it and in it; like a nostril holding an old bugger. The chicken always smells horrible.

Will probably go get her checked by the vet :/ She probably needs some sort of surgery so she can open and close her butt hole; would it not be dangerous to always have it open? What about when she lays eggs?

She eats normally, plays normally ect just the pooping issue. .

The blood is from irritation I think of just cleaning her all the time. I am going to shave her butt to keep her clean, but this issue is something I have not seen before,

Please help and advise.
    Cynthia

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's a vent, also called a cloaca, a multipurpose orifice.

The fact that it stays open suggests she's possibly always straining a bit.

Are you sure she doesn't have coccidiosis? That causes bloody poops sometimes.

When was she last wormed?

A vet may be a good idea, but I think she won't need surgery on her vent to deal with her sphincter, almost as a guarantee that is not the problem. It's a different health or husbandry problem.

Good time to do lots of reading up on chooks, I think. One can never do too much of that.

Best wishes.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cynthia, could your hen possibly have a prolapsed vent, where part of the internal tissue has come outside, and become stuck and swollen? This can be common from becoming egg bound, or from laying too large of eggs damaging the cloaca, or from chronic constipation. If the prolapse has been there long, the vent tissue can become necrotic and die, and the vent can be caked with droppings. Here are a couple of pictures of prolapsed vent or cloaca:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hi Chooks4life
    I am not sure.
    Her vent is full of poo.

Oh thanks for the information :) "It's a vent, also called a cloaca, a multipurpose orifice"
    What should I research? I am sorry I really am new to chickens and have no clue. Thank you for your patience with me.

"straining a bit" You mean she can't poo?
    Are you sure she doesn't have coccidiosis? No I am sure. The poo is not bloody it is her vent that gets irritated from me cleaning her all the time.

What is chooks?

Thank you for your reply Eggcessive
    I am not sure. Maybe you can help me.
    Here are some pics

Somewhat cleaned (I don't want her to bleed anymore):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

5. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

6. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hello :)
    Thanks for the reply. I have been researching like crazy and started giving her some of the foods you mentioned.

Today I cleaned her again.

She was having a hard time pooping. It sounds like a "fart" when she poops and then her stringy poop follows. I know she is hurting every time she poops. She starts to make noises (uncomfortable). She puffs up and is not eating too much just enough.

I inspected the poop. It is normal. Not runny anymore, but not too firm either.

I found "over grown tissue" over her cloaca. It is like a rock of "skin" covering her vent. She is straining because the poop can't come out. She has a very small hole in her vent where the poo comes out from. The bottom side of her vent is blocked off by that excess skin.

Maybe it is her intestines coming out I am not sure; she does try to clean herself and this might be doing more damage than helping. The excess skin is beige color. It is like a rock/ball covering her vent. If it was her insides coming out would she not be able to process food? She eats and drinks. More importantly would she still be alive?

She has no room for the poo to go out from. I cleaned her up and shaved her butt off completely. She smells horrible.
    I don't think it is a prolapsed vent going off by the pictures I found on google, but will order the ointment online anyway and try it.

Please help me. I had her since she was a few days old. She has come this far and I don't want her to die.
    She is close to laying and that would be chaos if she started laying during this situation.

Cynthia

7. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    HI :)
    Just an update.
    I found what she has...nothing too bad I think she will be just fine. I am glad I found out before something really bad happened.

She has an infection. Vent Gleet is what they call it.

She has more than 4 symptoms described.
    Foul smell
    Yellowish poop discharge
    Lethargy
    Not wanting to eat as much as before

I am sure that this is it.

Thanks for encouraging me to study and learn more about chickens "butts".
    Cynthia

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The extra tissue could be swelling from straining or just a defect. I would trim the feathers around the vent so they don't become soiled so easily. Give her a commercial probiotics such as Gro2Max or Probios for the water. Antifungal medications may the vet may help. Medistatin is available online, and is equivalent to Nystatin. Here is some info to read about gleet:
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html
    http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/vent_gleet.html

10. Cynthia 085

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hello :)

Thanks for your reply's

I am just going to take her in. She has an appointment this sat in the morning.

You guys are correct this is something out of my hands. The vet will hopefully get her happy again.

Cynthia !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by