white silkie in a mixed flock- new to the breed, need advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lakbird, May 2, 2010.

1. lakbird

lakbird Hatching

Sep 20, 2007
    hi all,
    i recently acquired 10 girls (8 wks old) of a completely mixed flock. they were raised together, so i thought "no big deal". i have never raised silkies before and there is one white girl in the mix (the rest are not silkies, but there is one cochin). she is pretty listless and seems timid to go to the feeder while the other birds eat. she is often by herself in the corner or at the bottom of the heap. i've heard silkies do not act like typical chickens, but i am afraid she may be the runt of the litter, or lowest in chicken hierarchy. it is still pretty chilly where i live (montana), and i fear that she may be too cold. i was thinking of bringing her indoors for a while till it seems she perks up, but i am afraid of re-introducing her into the flock once she has been absent for a little while. any advice? i could sure use it! thanks-

2. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would bring her in maybe you could pick another chick to come in with her, she might be getting to cold and not want to move, then when she is better you could move her back outside she just might need more time under the heat lamp. I do not have silkie's maybe someone who does will answer soon.

3. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    I would bring her inside. it's better than letting her freeze to death. ... or you could make her a chicken sweater! I know it sounds silly, but a lot of people do it and it works. there will always be a chicken thats "picked on" I don't think you can do anything about it besides separating her in a different pen.
    I have a silkie. she don't really hang around the other chickens ether. they are kinda independent chickens. I dont know if that's a trait of the silkies but mine's like that.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. lakbird

lakbird Hatching

Sep 20, 2007
    thanks for your advice. i isolated her inside, and on closer inspection it seems she is most likely suffering from merck's. and therefore, i don't think there is too much i can do.

5. Redchickens

Redchickens Hatching

Mar 22, 2010
    Reno
    We have a white silkie hen and she is very timid and smaller than the other 2 silkies roos. We live in Reno and they like the heating lamp when it is below 40 degrees at night. I have always kept them warm. She also sometimes just doesnt move and you can approach her and pick her up. We took her to a show and she cowered the whole time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: